1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New Acer - Problems Already !

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Jun 30, 2011.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I just bought an Acer Palmatum Orange Dream this spring. It is approx 1m tall and is planted in a container in a sheltered sun/shade position ( it gets sun until about 1pm ).
    All was going well - then I returned from holiday and noticed that the growing points appear shrivelled , also the leaves on the top third of the tree are going brown around the edges.
    What is the problem ? A similar growing point shrivelling happened to a clematis that was 2m away - I don't know if there could be a connection ?
    I still have some Dithane 945 available would spraying with this fungicide be advisable ?

TIA

GROWING TIPS SHRIVELLED
    [​IMG]

LEAF EDGE BROWNING
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    If the wind isn't the cause it's most likely to be that the rootball's got too dry.
    This will happen just the same with clematis. The clem is a very thirsty vine and needs massive amounts of water.
    If the acer's in a pot, the pot needs to be at least 2' wide and the same deep and will need copious watering.

When watering clems and your acer use a hosepipe and leave it on a steady trickle for 10 minutes a week, a watering can will mean umpteen returning trips before those two types of plants have had anywhere near enough water.

• Like Like x 1
    • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
      Ratings:
      +3,253
      Was someone watering it while you were away?
      A young Acer in a pot needs very regular watering.
      It looks like leaf scorch to me. A combination of too much sun/wind and lack of water.
      If the roots have dried out too much it will die.

Plants kept in pots can sometimes get so root bound that weekly watering is just not enough.
      We have a standard Wisteria in a huge pot. It has to be given a water ever day or the leaves visibly wilt.

Give it time and it may recover with future TLC.
      It will cope very well in shade. Some Acers dislike any baking in full sun.

• Like Like x 1
      • HarryS

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Thanks , Louise and SS , for the prompt replies.
        It should have been watered while I was away, and to be fair it didn't feel particularly dry on my return. It can get a bit breezy in my garden but I have it in the most sheltered spot , and when it was really windy a few weeks ago I placed it in a corner . I have given it a good watering and a foliar feed with a weak solution of Miracle Gro . I will pot it up into a bigger pot from the 14" one if it survives.

Should I prune the shrivelled growing tips back to a healthy pair of leaves now ?
        Should I have planted it in ericaceous compost or should I feed an ericaeous liquid fertiliser?

Sorry for all the questions !

TIA

• whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +803
        For goodness sake DON'T feed the poor thing
        It has been neglected whilst you have been on holiday, and has suffered from a combination of wind and lack of water
        All it needs is proper attention, but not over attention
        Very temperamental Japanese maples ........
        You can remove shrivelled leaves if they are annoying you

• Like Like x 1
        • HarryS

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Thanks for the tip Whis4ey , I have removed the shrivelled tips and will just give it some TLC until it recovers :thumb:

• Mary Milarky

Mary Milarky Gardener

Ratings:
          +0
          Hi just joined and not sure of my way around yet but saw Hary request for advcie regarding his acer. I've got a not dissimilar problem. Can someone help me please.

My Acer Palmatum 'Bloodgood' is about 4 years old. This year it came away as usual but I now have white shrivelled edges on the leaves. The soil is healthy and has good drainage. I know that acers don't tolerate windy weather but this year's wind is no worse than previous years. I live in a wind exposed area in the south of Edinburgh.

Are the symptoms I have described just wind damage?
          Mary

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,593
          I similar problem with one the the bloodgood maples I planted in a garden last year .... (I do a bit of part time landscaping)

went to do some weeding/mowing etc earlier today

there are 3 maples (all bloodgood) .... they are all planted in semi-shade ... 2 trees seem fine, but the one that gets most sun has 2 stems with shriveled leaves (this tree is about 1,2m tall and has 3 stems that grow from the ground

ground is bone dry (cambridge is having a drought) .... the guy who owns the property does not water his garden at all ... gave it a deep soaking a few hrs ago .... hope it recovers as they are finiky

• whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +803
          I have over a hundred Japanese maples in the garden
          This year, for the first time, I am having loads of leaves showing the symptoms you all describe
          The reason has been the bitterly cold winds ( even storms) that we had here during May, I think it was
          The trees can recover from this ( Japanese maples can put out a second set of buds to cope with the loss of their first leaves)
          Most of my trees are showing signs of recovery
          I am hoping all of yours will do the same
          Over in England you guys have been having something akin to drought conditions. Japanese maples need a constant moisture so that can be part of the problem for you, as can drying winds and heat
          Don't panic ... and don't fertilise. Fertiliser is NOT a medicine for a sick tree. It is only to be used on a healthy tree to stimulate growth etc.

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
          Ratings:
          +6,654
          A lot of plants (not just the Acers) have been affected by the seemingly endless cool winds (quite strong too) throughout May and in to June. I have a few shrubs that have similar damage as described on your Acers; it doesn't look pretty but is unlikely to do the plant any long term damage, just keep up the watering; especially given the dry weather and feed as normal, no need for extra...:thumb: