1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New adventures to start

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Kris35, May 1, 2022.

1. Kris35

Kris35 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

Im in the process gathering materials to build a greenhouse as a little project for myself. I have to say the aspect of growing anything is quiet overwhelming as I have no experience in this at all.

It's something I've always wanted but i was recently juggling the idea of getting an allotment until i realised...I dont know enough about the planting side of anything to warrant such space right now.

So to start small, I have a concrete yard and plan on building a 4 meter by 2.4m frame which will be ankered and then wrapped in small gauge cage wire before being wrapped in polythene sheeting. The roof will be a sloped roof instead of an apex...with an angle of roughly 28 degrees with the roof and side being exposed to the west. 1 side the Easter wont be exposed to sunshine on that side due to neighbour's buildings and fencing. I plan on have 2 vents...1 in the roof and 1 on the western side?

I will be or can add electric if needed...but I'm really looking for something similar or some step by step guidance on if this sounds appropriate, any tips...also once I've build this...what should I use to kit this out with...I will be growing veg etc...or plan too and maybe some nice plants to keep a little busy inbetween if possible. Thank you

• Like Like x 2
    • amyjones329

amyjones329 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +45
      In terms of the ventilation, two vents should be enough to keep air circulating properly in your greenhouse. To ensure that you have a good air flow, make sure the lower vent is no more than 8" from the floor and that both vents are placed near the ridge or peak of the roof for an optimal airflow.

When it comes to kitting out your greenhouse, you'll want to make sure it is stocked with all the necessary tools and supplies. You may need a watering can, potting mix, trays or pots for your plants, as well as shelves or benches to store them on. If you plan on growing vegetables, you may need extra lighting and heating units to make sure they get enough sunlight and warmth. Additionally, it's also worth considering buying a few decorative extras such as trellises or hanging baskets to add some charm to your greenhouse.

• Like Like x 2
      • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,556
        Don't be put off. Nobody knows what they're doing when they first start. Some of us still don't really know what we're doing even after many years of practicing.

I think where a lot of people fall over when they first start is they start off with things that are quite high maintenance. They know nothing about their local conditions, and so acting solely off the minimalist over simplified guide on the seed packets, they sow some seeds, witness almost total failure, and are put off forever.

If you were to take on an allotment, you could soon fill it up with crops that largely look after themselves. An example that immediately springs to mind is spuds. While experience leads to better crops, it's almost impossible not to get some crop out of them. Other super easy crops include runner beans, onions (from sets), salad leaves etc.

One of the good things about gardening is that although you can spend thousands, if you want to and have the money, you can also do it on next to nothing, and learn as you go along without losing much along the way.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
          Ratings:
          +893
          Start small with an allotment, if you can even get one! Do not accept the one that nobody has tended in living memory, which many allotments keep to put off the timid! Once onsite, you will get more free advice than you can handle; just take the average and you will be fine. Grow what you will eat, and keep it cost effective. Remember 95% of what is offered in garden centres is not for 'real' gardeners, you simply do not need it! A down to earth book such as Organic Gardening – The natural no-dig way, signed

would be a useful introduction.