1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New allotment progress

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Emily Jones, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Emily Jones

Emily Jones Gardener

Ratings:
    +224
    Hey everyone! Back in February I got my patch and it's been such a treat tending to it ever since. Loving the past few months, harvesting what's been coming through. Always got plenty to do, the weeds are incessant. Its a huge learning curve. Currently working on clearing away an old run down area to make some raised beds. Here are some progress pics of my space! 20200223_121146.jpg 20200316_163320.jpg 20200527_180120.jpg 20200716_201617.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
      Ratings:
      +2,381
      Hi Emily,
      That plot is looking very good.
      We didn't aquire our allotment until May, so it's been a bit of a catch up to get things cleared and then planted.
      We've got runner beans, savoy cabbage, purple sprouting, beetroot, carrots, red kale all growing nicely.
      Hopefully next year ours will look as good as yours!

• JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
      Ratings:
      +2,381
      It's only the runner beans that are slow.. I've only got two at the top of their sticks.. Hopefully they'll get going soon ☺

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    • Emily Jones

Emily Jones Gardener

Ratings:
      +224
      Congratulations on your plot. Hope you're enjoying the process. I've still got a lot of clearing to do, but it will be worth it. How are your carrots? Mine weren't successfull at all so I replaced them with courgettes and cabbages. I'm sure your runners will get there. Mine had an attack of aphids but i think I've managed to save them. Sounds like you've got great things on the go!!

• Like Like x 1
      • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
        Ratings:
        +2,381
        Thanks, the autumn king carrots are doing very nicely and I've got a couple of bushy courgette plants (we like them in oven roasted veg, veg lasagne, and veg curry) The cabbages which i grew from seed have suffered a bit of slug attack. We are trialling a home made garlic clove spray to discourage them.
        All in all the allotment is a great place to be, and I'm loving it.
        Sunday evening i just popped down there (1.5 miles) to check things, and it turned out to be a two hour chat as other allotmenteers were also having a wander.
        It's a very pleasant pastime on several levels... I even came home with some nice free veg that i was given, so it's yummy bubble n squeak today! ☺

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
      • Emily Jones

Emily Jones Gardener

Ratings:
        +224
        Glad your carrots are doing well. I've got to get learning more courgette recipes. I'm inundated. I recently used a few to make chutney. Not yet tasted it. My cabbage seems to be ok at the moment, ive got them covered over because the birds had a field day when they first got planted. Aw sounds fantastic. It really is a lovely thing to get involed in. All my fellow allotment neighbours are friendly ☺

• Like Like x 1