1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New allotment

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Ystalyfera, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Ystalyfera

Ystalyfera Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    I've recently moved to Portishead and managed to get myself an allotment in the last few weeks.

It looks like in the past it has been well used, but don't think much went on in the last year. The soil is very easy to dig, but had a good smattering of weeds and grass to sort out.

I will attempt to add some progress pics, my aim has been to clear small sections at a time, and try and get some vegetables in the ground. Towards the rear of the plot within the broken fruit cage there look to be some established raspberry plants altho never grown them so not sure if they fruit every year regardless. Also some strawberry plants as well, although my hazy memory recalls you can have 2-3 good years and then need to replace?

Anyway other than that intent to get in some seed potatoes which are currently chitting, carrots, and spring onions, onions and peas.

I'm an old member on here but very out of touch and not that experienced other than potching around so will be looking for lots of help!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,946
      Nice size and looks as though your on your way to getting it sorted. Look forward to seeing the progress.
      Rusty

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,151
      It's tough knowing whats whats, when you take over a plot. Raspberries fall into two groups, Summer and Autumn fruiting. With the former the canes flower and fruit on last season's wood. Autumn varieties you're supposed to cut down in the winter and new canes shoot up which have the flowers/fruit. You might be able to tell which you have by looking at the canes now, any with signs of old flowers/fruit should really be chopped down to the ground. But it's a risk you are going to chop down canes about to burst into new flower. So just leave them as they are this year and make a note when they fruit. I am sure you will get a crop anyway.

yes that's right. Again I would leave them and see how they develop this year. Older plants tend to have woody stems and won't be productive. You can take runners off them this year and replace the bed next season.

• Ystalyfera

Ystalyfera Gardener

Ratings:
      +10
      I've managed to scramble into the fruit net cage that has partially collapsed. Pulled up a good few weeds to clear away.

As you describe above there look to be some dead canes and I have taken pics of some plants/weeds as not sure if they are young raspberry plants or some form of weed.

Look a bit like bramble but without the thorns. When I used an app said could be raspberry or jetbead or balm.....

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,151
      Look like very small thorn less raspberries

• Ystalyfera

Ystalyfera Gardener

Ratings:
      +10
      Ah ok will leave them alone then and see what happens!

Thank you