1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New build lawn was looking good but now starting to deteriorate...

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by samwalker22, Sep 28, 2014.

1. samwalker22

samwalker22 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411913177.297272.jpg

Been at the property about 3 months now and whilst the grass was looking rather green (not perfect, but better than it is now) it is now starting to develop yellow patches as seen in photo. We have stopped watering it as the weather has cooled down and seemed like it was doing fine on it's own, but maybe that's an issue? The soil still feels slightly moist though.

Should I use some kind of fertiliser? Or is it too late in the year to do that now? What would you suggest? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411913439.365551.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      I bought my House [new build] in 1978. The "garden" was just a mass of compacted soil, huge buried lengths of plastic sheeting, timber, lumps of concrete, hundreds of bricks [still digging them up], gravel, lengths of timber, etc. It took me a couple of years plus two lots of 90 plus tons of top soil just to get it any where to look reasonable.
      My point being that if your house is new build then you probably have some of the same builders debris buried under a minimal amount of top soil and then it being turfed on top. But grass is a tough survivor and will grow in most places if there is nothing "toxic" in the soil. Having said that it is a bit late in the year to give your grass a top heavy Nitrogen feed but you might try an Autumn feed that will have more Phosphate and Potash in it than Nitrogen. If there is anything under the turf that the grass is reacting to then hopefully time and rain will leach most of it out of the soil.:thumbsup::snork:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • samwalker22

samwalker22 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +6
        Thanks for your reply. I will purchase some autumn feed. Would you recommend that I aerate my lawn at this time of year too?

Yeah I'm not convinced that the soil is the best quality, but time will tell.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836

Well, one of the main reasons for aerating the lawn is to alleviate compaction and if you have, as I suspect, builders debris under the turf I would leave it until you get the grass looking stronger and healthier.:dunno::snork: