1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New build solar energy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Loofah, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,771
    As some of you know I have just bought a new place which requires extensive works and extension - The new project. As a part of that work I'm going to look at as many eco friendly aspects as I can and starting with solar energy, with a specific focus on incorporating as a new build rather than retro fitting.

Has anyone build a house or extension with solar panels in, how is it different if at all, how much am I going to get fleeced?!

Having looked about I see that the feed-in tariff has ended but that they're introducing a different regulation in 2020 to replace it (probably at vastly inferior rates)

• Like Like x 1
    • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
      Ratings:
      +2,369
      Not sure about the new tariff but I know that the kick back from installing solar tapered, making it less financially attractive to install as time went on.

Have you considered solar tiles ? They will be more expensive than panels, I'd imagine.

Bear in mind that the efficiency of solar panels declines over time so the savings on day one will be higher than those in 5 years time.

A big energy saver for us has been better insulation in the walls and roof - both have made a noticeable difference.

How about a ground source heat pump ?

Will be interested to see what you install as our longer term plan is to sell the house and (planning permission permitting) build an eco house / bungalow in the paddock

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,465
        This is the current :heehee: stage re the new system (no set date for implementation).

A Replacement to the Feed-In Tariff? - TheGreenAge

Solar tiles are much more expensive than panels.

We have had solar panels for almost six years and there has been no noticeable deterioration in efficiency :fingers crossed:. Due to an anomaly our installation cost had been recouped by last year. This anomaly would not be available under the new scheme.

The forecast drop off in efficiency was 1% p.a. but it is more important to try and get panels that have a good reputation as the replacement cost would far outweigh any drop off. We have a ten year guarantee on the panels and a five year guarantee on the inverter. I reckoned that both would be expected to outlast their guarantees as the manufacturers/retailers would not want to produce something that they would then have to replace free - or almost free.

A note about my personal thoughts on orientation of panels:- it is said that south facing panels are better than east or west facing ones (little point in north facing ones). By experience and some research and some empirical work I have come to the conclusion that east facing is almost as good as south facing.

If you look at the charts of the angle of the rising of the sun throughout the year you will see that during summer months east facing panels will receive sunshine anything up to three hours sooner than south facing. I haven't bothered to do calculations on it but I have a cousin who has only east facing panels and we have south facing ones. For a few years we compared weekly readings and annual generation and there was little difference between the two. We generate about 3800kWh p.a. and he generates 3670kWh.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Loofah

Ratings:
          +21,771
          Solar tiles are about 2x expensive apparently but we'll look at them for aesthetics. Without all the funding that they used to give you and the reduction / removal of the feed-in tariff makes payback about 20 years give or take so not exactly attractive but I would assume installation cost to be lower as a new build. We're still interested in it though if we can justify the cost

Hadn't thought of a ground source heat pump, I'll have a look.

• Like Like x 2
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +118,465
            Also try and make provision for storage batteries for when they become more economical :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
            • Loofah

Ratings:
              +21,771
              Alreet. Big shed do? :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +118,465
                Big basement would be better :)

• Like Like x 1
                • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  If you're planning to stay in the house for Life, I think it's a good idea. However, the owner of a House in the next road had Solar panels fitted onto the South side of his house some years back and last year decide to "up sticks" and move but, unfortunately, found that the contract he entered into with the Company that fitted the Solar Panels meant the contract would be inherited with the new owner and that put several buyers off......so he's still here and given up selling the House, which is a very nice House in a very nice position but unattractive to buyers due to the Solar Panel contract.:wallbanging::dunno:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +85,932
                    Apparently they would not be any use to me, I dont use enough electric to make it viable.:smile:

• Loofah

Ratings:
                    +21,771
                    Well that's a bit of a kicker for him :( We're not planning on going anywhere after this. Ever. (I hate moving house!!)

• Like Like x 1
                    • shiney

Ratings:
                      +118,465
                      All the solar panel contracts have a clause that the contract is, in effect, with the house and not the individual. There are normally two types of contract.

One is where the home owner has funded the panels himself. In that case the new purchaser is in a win win situation. They own the panels which are producing free electricity and they are also, currently, in receipt of the Feed In Tariff.

The other is where a contractor, be it a developer or power company, have paid for the panels. In that case the home owner still gets free electricity but the contractor/developer/power company receive the Feed In Tariff. Still a win situation.

So I don't understand why, if it's explained properly, it shouldn't be an added attraction to the prospective purchaser. They don't have to do anything and they receive some or all of the benefit. It should be an easy sales technique for an estate agent.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Loofah

Ratings:
                        +21,771
                        Ever met a clever estate agent? I only ever met ones that thought they were but quickly discovered otherwise!

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • Funny Funny x 1
                        • healthfreak101

healthfreak101 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                          +4

Thanks for your great tips on how to save energy.