1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW CAMERA AND A STEEP LEARNING CURVE

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by ARMANDII, Aug 20, 2012.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I've just up graded from a compact camera [Canon Power Shot A590] to a DSLR. I did a bit of research and took my time about choosing what camera I would get and settled for the Pentax K5 with a 18-55mm WR lens plus a 50-200mm WR lens. I had a Pentax SLR [film] some time ago and used to develop my own pics but the pressures of life took me away from photography for a while. I started up again and for convenience used a compact but just didn't feel in control of the situation when taking a pic.....which is why I have up graded. But it is a whole new world as I want to learn Lightroom 4 as well.:doh: It'll keep me busy during the dark Winter nights:snork:

[​IMG]

I also bought an extra battery, UV filters for both lens, a remote control, and a 32 GB SDHC card. Which is all well and good.......but there's still that learning curve.:heehee:

• Like Like x 5
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,594
      You're going to have fun with your new toy Armandii. :) When I got my Canon my son said to me, don't read through the manual in one go. Take it section by section and work with the camera as you go along. It made sense but my problem is, I don't understand a word of the manual, it's not geared to beginners. :scratch:

Enjoy yourself! :dbgrtmb:

• joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,385
      Have you took some pics yet ?:biggrin: im sure it wont take you all winter to master it armandii :blue thumb: i like your lenses:dbgrtmb:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,836
      You're right about the Manual, Sheal!! I have a little read of it, put it down and do something else, then pick it up again to read another couple of pages. I re-read a section a few times if I have to just to get my head around it. But I'm happy with the camera but still need to get used to the options of controls......I guess keep it simple is going to be the rule.:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,594
        I started on fully automatic until I got used to the feel and workings of it. I'm now using semi-auto which gives me more freedom with shots, but I haven't progressed beyond that yet. Making time is an issue with me. :)

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Hi Joolz, yes, I have taken some pics with it....in the garden of course!:hapydancsmil: I took some shots with the Pentax of the Cannas and some are in a post of Cannas 2012. Plus I had a very nice happening in the garden today and managed to get some shots of it all.....I'll post those tomorrow!!:snork:

• Like Like x 2
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Actually, Sheal, I've gone the other way.....using manual controls as much as I can, especially when it comes to focusing:doh: I find auto focusing isn't as good as it's cracked up to be when getting close but that's because I haven't yet tried using the different combinations of sensors when taking shots. I'll get the hang of it by the end of the century.;)

• Like Like x 3
            • Gonzo

Gonzo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +18
              Hello Armandii. The only difference between film and digital cameras, is you can change ISO the for each shot. That read's small but isn't. It gives you a whole range of options to work with. I'd just treat it like the old film camera but make good use of iso settings.

The moon's hard to shoot on 200 iso. It moves to much to catch it. An iso of 800 at f11 with shutter speed at 125 will give you good result, even hand held, on your 200 lens.

Digital darkrooms: Best thing since sliced bread ;)

• Like Like x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                Thanks Gonzo, your advice and opinion is much appreciated believe me.:thumbsup::snork: At least with digital I can control the noise in a pic whereas in film it was a lot more noticeable as grain on fast film and I can reject shots on the spot instead of waiting to develop them. There's still a place for film in my opinion.:dunno::snork:

• Like Like x 1
                • Robajobs

Robajobs I ♥ Organic manure and fine Iranian lagers

One armed Lion Tamer. I'm still learning the Job.
                  Ratings:
                  +489
                  What about White balance? I seem to recall having a box full of filters for artificial light. Sorry but I could name you at least 20 functions off the top of my head that a digital camera has that a film camera hasn't. Poo poo me if you want! :biggrin:

• Robajobs

Ratings:
                  +489
                  Nice looking piece of kit Armandll! :dbgrtmb: Looks like a Nikon from the top with LCD display.
                  Pentax were right up there with the best until Canon and Nikon cornered the pro and semi-pro digital market but no doubt it's a very good body. HD Video is a bonus too.

Just read the review from dpreview.com and they like it very much!

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  I think Gonzo was being more generic in his comparison between film and digital cameras, Robajobs.:snork: There'll always be a rivalry between film and digital users, and I, personally, believe there'll always be a place for film. But I find the attraction of digital in being able to take, discard, and enhance pictures while it's still in the camera, being able to use internal filters, use jpeg, raw and HDR, is something I can't ignore and want to use to raise my standard of photography. Plus, I like learning, gaining more knowledge and all that Jazz:heehee:

• Robajobs

Ratings:
                  +489
                  Yes, ebay. :snork:

Please, please, please, steer clear of HDR it's poodlepoop!

• Like Like x 1
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    I actually thought long and hard about what camera I was going to buy, Robajobs. I had the funds to buy a Nikon or a Canon at a professional level, but to be honest, all you see advertised is Canons or Nikons..being popular doesn't make it great, possibly just sheep following sheep.:dunno: As it was, the price of the K5 was around the same as a comparable Nikon or Canon. All DSLRs look the same really, so I did a lot of research before I chose the Pentax. All of the independent reviews, to my surprise, put the K5 on par, or above, the same level and some supposedly higher level Nikons and Canons, on build quality [using titanium for the body instead of a mixture of plastic/titanium], the resolution of the lenses, the quality of the sensor, it's ability to do more within the camera etc, the ergonomics, being weather resistant to a greater degree than other brands, and in general it scored higher in most tests than the other comparable cameras. So I did a lot of comparing, trying out in shops, reading up on the level of camera I wanted. I was leaning towards a Nikon but the build quality, believe it or not, was not rated as good as the K5, nor were they weather resistant. But it was the resolution marking of the lenses that convinced me that I would get a lot more quality and value with a Pentax than I would with a Canon or Nikon. There's some nice little touches that Pentax has put into the K5 that, for me, puts it above others. I'm slowly getting to grips with it and so far I am really pleased with it. It's just a case of climbing that learning curve:heehee:

Just noticed your observation about HDR, Robajobs!!! I only mentioned it in passing as my main interest will be shooting RAW and trying to get my head around Lightroom 4.:snork:

• Folly Mon

Folly Mon GC Official Counselor

starting new busniss in new year
                    Ratings:
                    +2,409
                    Looks a Lovely Top Pice Kit there ARMANDII :dbgrtmb:

Come on then Show us some Piccys of your Lovely Garden :wub2:
                    Pretty Please ;)

• Like Like x 1