1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New Forest or The Lake District Again

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Kandy, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    This Year is our 35th Wedding Anniversary and we are trying to get something sorted out hopefully a holiday around that time.:smile:

Mr Kandy would like to go back up to the Lake District staying on the Caravan Club site in Park Coppice,because the site we usually go to near Keswick seems a lot more expensive than when we last went there (£30+a night) and now looking around on the net I quite fancy The New Forest,but as we have never stayed there(Black Knowl) would like to know if any members on here have ever stayed either on this site or visited the New Forest in general for a holiday and need to know if the area has much going for it in the way of walks and possibly cycling:smile:

We also interested in Birdwatching,and observing Flora and Forna and Mr Kandy likes anything to do with boats,large or small:snork:

We are trying to get things sorted on the holiday front as we can't leave it too long and if things do go pearshaped with his dad and we have to cancel then it can't be helped.

Any suggestions would be a great help from members on here....Thanks:smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      I would choose the Lake District because

1) I think the New Forest is boring (compared to The Lakes), and

2) We got as far as http://www.brackenrigginn.co.uk/ on our honeymoon 'road trip' and treated ourselves to 1 night's B&B before returning home.

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      Hiya Kandy :blue thumb:
      I've visited both sites, Black Knowl and Park Coppice. As sites go, I much preferred Black Knowl. Locally, there's a wooded area with a stream, and open parkland. Brockenhurst village is close-by and definitely worth a visit. Lyndhurst isn't too far away, also worth visiting. I could list quite a few places to visit, and if you decide to go there, I'll add some more. The New Forest is fairly flat (gentle hills) and great for cycling/walking.
      I found Park Coppice to be very dark as it's pretty much completely wooded. Of course, some might like that, but I like a bit of sunshine. I'm a huge fan of The Lakes too, so I wouldn't suggest one over the other.

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,869
      Hi Kandy my son lives in Lyndhurst .I have been there many times, , Beaulieu, Brockenhurst, Burley and Lyndhurst, depending where you go ,its not to far from Bournmourth and you could always catch a ferry to the Isle of Wight,then there's Lymington and,Ringwood ,one of my favourite places is Romsey (Broadlands)Earl Mountbatten's Home,plenty of beautiful Gardens to visit and you will never get bored,plenty to do and see and covers all interests:smile: Wow since I have been writing this post didn't realise how much I liked it:heehee:

The lake district I have only been once many years ago,but it haven't been back since,so I am not able to comment on it. Wherever you chose I know that you will have a lovely holiday:smile:

• Like Like x 2
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        There's Sundews in the New Forest in the summer :)

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Hi Kandy,I know you specifically requested info on the New Forest and the Lakes but if you should happen veer right a tad there's some lovely sites in the Yorkshire Dales;)...

• Agree Agree x 3
          Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
        • Adendoll

Adendoll Super Gardener

Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +1,308
          Or t' other side of t'hill the Peak District!

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
            Ratings:
            +12,508
            We visited Hawes, lovely place. Dunno if that qualifies as The Dales?

• Like Like x 1
            • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +23,089
              My thoughts in general;

My last couple of visits indicate that The Lakes has become one big traffic jam in season. There are some hills and some lakes but having spent 7 months in New Zealand they're no great shakes any more. Some really good eateries but can be a little pricey if you are not careful. Walks to suit all levels. I liked the locals blunt attitude and had a good laugh.

The New Forest is less likely to be wet and cold. Lots of traffic in season but cycling is a more realistic option as is horse riding. Better coast within easy reach. Better nurseries which is important if going away in the UK.

• Like Like x 1
              • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,997
                What about B&B in Scotland for a completely different experience?

BandB.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
                  Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
                • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +16,246
                  You can't get more Yorkshire Dales than Hawes Freddy :dbgrtmb: I love the scenery of the Dales , very unique rolling limestone valleys. And of course Wensleydale cheese !
                  The lakes do get very busy in summer , stunning scenery and traffic jams . If Mr Kandy likes boats the New Forest has Poole harbour , the Solent and Portsmouth in easy distance. Submarine museum is a must too visit .

• Like Like x 3
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +118,485
                    @Kandy you haven't said what time of year you will be going. :scratch:

Outside of the kids holidays the Lakes are fine (even during holidays the right places can be fine).

Boats are available both in the Lakes and on the coast not far from the New Forest.

The Loweswater area seems to fit the bill quite well.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/groups/westcumbria/places/190827/

It's in a quiet part of the Lakes, on the C2C route, has Holme Wood alongside the lake which is very well known for its birdlife (I've seen cormorants there) and is only a short drive from the coastal wildlife areas. There are a lot of other good birding spots in the area including Soddy Gap and Dubwath (10-15 minute drive from Loweswater).

I would guess that campsites nearest there will be expensive as they will be at Buttermere but I understand that the site at the Wheatsheaf in Low Lorton (4 miles from Loweswater in a very quiet spot) and Whinfell Hall Farm Lorton are both reasonable.

• Informative Informative x 1