New garden hell!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by beci, May 1, 2005.

1. beci

beci Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi -this is my very first post, and will reek of desperation. Not exactly a born gardener (having killed a few houseplants!) I was excited at the prospect of a garden when we moved into our house from a 2nd floor flat. How wrong was I?!
    The garden has been neglected for a few years by the previous owner, and for 9 months by ourselves, mainly because I haven't a clue where to start!
    It is quite a big garden, which is being taken over by bluebells, brambles, dandelions & evil horsetail. I have never seen such a thing in my life, and was horrified when someone told me what these alien things were sprouting in my garden. That was a few weeks ago when they were the brown growths that carry the spores. Since then I have just noticed that they are taking over. The lawn (if you can call it that!) is peppered with the green shoots (and brambles), and I just don't know where to begin.
    I was thinking it may be best to rotivate the whole back garden and start from scratch, but I have to get rid of the horsetail first so it doesn't grow back.
    I am really upset, and it has made me never want a garden again! Can anyone advise this novice? :mad:

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I've not come across horsetail, though I've heard of it. Its an ancient plant, as I recall - looking it up reveals that it is a rhyzome based plant - like Iris. Please don't get upset with your neglected garden - it'll just take a little time, before it awakens and gives you the joy will get from it. If you don't believe me take a look at Heligan Garden, before and after.

Not sure what the best thing is to deal with or at least control the horsetail - if no-one can advise you here, go a along to your local garden centre and ask the best way to deal with it.

Now the rest, don't use a rotivator just yet, cos you may have some great plants and shrubs in amongst the weeds - but you may not recognise them. The brambles can be cut back to where the root is and then dug up. I would use round up spray on the dandelions as they have deep tap roots, and breaking those, just means they will regrow. and ensure that you gather the flowers before they set seed. Take your time, its kinda like the old saying of how to eat an elephant, bite sized chunks <gg>

My first garden was concrete and rubble - at least you got growing things, even if they are the wrong things. While I was working hard to turn it into my dream, I gave myself reminders of what the blisters were for, by planting up containers with perrennials, roses, herbs and shrubs. It helped - until I finally had a garden I could purr over - and believe me purr I did.

There's a lorra people here, and in your area, who will be only willing to give you advise - one of the nice things about gardeners, they like to share.

3. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Deep breaths, dont panic. Firstly you need to get rid of some of the undergrowth so you can see what you are working with. It is easy to look at a big job and get disheartened before you begin but the longer you leave it the worse it will get. Try splitting it up into more manageable chunks, either by area or by weed. e.g. get strong gloves and some secateurs and tackle the brambles.

The right tool for the job also helps. You can get a tool that has a v shaped notch on the end that is excellent for digging out long rooted weeds like dandelions and docks. You need to get as much root as possible or they will just grow again.

I recon the marestail is the biggest problem. Rotovating will just chop the roots up maybe help it to spread. I know it prefers damp soil so if possible improve drainage by adding a heap of sharp sand to the effected areas.

All of these suggestions are DIY but is getting someone in to do the heavy work an option? Id certainly get professional help if you intend to spray with herbicide. You can buy chemicals from tesco or B&Q but in my oppinion you will get better results and be less likely to cause damage if a pro does the job for you.

I hope that is some help. Good luck.

4. beci

beci Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks both for your help and advice. I think I will consider my next move carefully, and do as you've suggested, tackle the worst problem first. My instant reaction is to draw the curtains on it all and hope it goes away! But I realise that won't help.
    I wish outside help was an option, but as we have so much to do to the inside of our house, there are other priorities.
    Thanks again, and I'm sure I shall be back for more help in the near future!

5. Laura

Laura Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Beci, my garden is behind a golf course and full of the dreaded mare's tail. I'm afraid to say that it does tend to be an ongoing battle as this is a very resistant weed. I was advised to paint all the mares tails with a weedkiller such as roundup, which would eventually kill the whole plant including the root, however I didn't find this very effective - it's fiddly to do (as there is loads in my borders and you don't want to splash the other plants!)and by the time it kicks in, there are loads of new mares tails. The only think I have found to work is just to keep hoeing the little ba*****s, eventually they will weaken! I also put cocoa shell down as a mulch and they don't seem to like that much.Me and my hubby find it a great stress reliever to go and get a couple of buckets of mares tails - just don't put them on your compost heap!

6. Ray P

Ray P Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Beci
    No don't be disheartened. The rewards will come eventually and be worth all the effort. Round up is the only answer. Whatever you do do NOT rotovate you will only propagate the problem. To ease your impatience try growing in pots so at least you get some pleasure and a sense of garden, beware it can be addictive, I know. Be VERY VERY careful with roundup with wind drift. As calm a day as possible and as close to the plant as possible, gloves/mask and cover up. Ray

7. beci

beci Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, it's been a while since I last checked the help here. My mum found out about something called Dax Root-Out, which apparently claims to help get rid (although I think it's more controlling than eradicating). Haven't tried it yet, she only told me last week.
    Meanwhile I concentrated on sorting the front garden out, and now look proudly upon it every time I leave or enter the house (when I'm not fending off other people's annoying children with footballs that is!)
    A local gardener must have ESP as he stuck a card through the door offering his services yesterday, so I may give him a call to get a quote for clearing it so I can at least start attacking the problem. Bet he'll run a mile when he sees it though!
    Will ley you know if and when I track down the Dax and if it works. Finger's crossed eh?!

8. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I cant find the dax in the pesticide book that i have, although it is a couple of years out of date. Find out what the active ingredient is because there are often cheaper alternatives that do the same thing but without the big marketing budget. Im glad to hear that you are getting somewhere with the front garden. It is a great feeling isnt it? When you can look at the bit that you have done and know that you made it look good.

Cloudy