Dismiss Notice
MONTHLY PHOTO COMPS ARE BACK!

Get your camera out, take the best shots of your life and submit them to the photo competition!

Please Click Here!

New Garden Project

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Temmy, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Temmy

Temmy Apprentice Gardener

Video game designer
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hey folks,

After over a year of clearing out (including pulling down a workshop, brick BBQ, unearthing foundations of an old green house, replacing a hazard of an oil tank, and 4 skips of brick, stone, rubbish and concrete) our space is ready to start turning into a garden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the dream plan:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The reason for the split elevation is the fact in the future we'll have doors at the back of the house which will lead straight out - and so the lawn there wants to be the same level as the floor. However, the oil tank and fence at the other side of the garden is already higher up and would be costly to redo so; split elevation it is (plus we just think it looks nice)

I need some advice:

I want to try and do as much of this myself and the first thing I want to tackle is getting levels and a lawn sorted.

- What's the best way of planning out levels? String lines?
    - I was thinking tilt the lawn towards the back corner for drainage and to slope water away from the house. Is there a good ratio for the amount of slope over distance?
    - The soil which was under the workshop looks dead, cracks in the heat, and is full of stones. I've also no idea how long it's been covered. Could have been a decade.

My thinking is to simply remove the top few inches and replace with brand new fertile topsoil. Is that a good idea?

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

2. jowwy

jowwy Gardener

Ratings:
    +76
    Get a rotavator in the to turn the soil over, lay down some new topsoil and compost. Level it by eye with a rake or large length of timber by dragging it over the top

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +25,343
      Use a ladder, borrow if you don't have one.

Surely the slope is dictated by your site, unless you can build a retaining wall at the back corner?

If it's just going to be a lawn I would dig it over and spread it about and mix with the adjoining soil.

• Temmy

Video game designer
      Ratings:
      +13
      Thanks. Would you remove the existing grass first, or just rotavate that into the soil (bearing in mind I want to seed / turf a new lawn on top)

• Temmy

Video game designer
      Ratings:
      +13
      Thanks. Should I remove the existing grass first, or, is there any benefit just chewing that up and digging that into the soil?

• jowwy

jowwy Gardener

Ratings:
      +76
      Personally i would kill the current lawn with glysophate, wait two weeks to make sure everything is dead and then i would rotavate, re-topsoil and compost, then put down the new seed. It will give a nice new green garden, with one lot of grass ans not mixed grasses of which you dont know what they are…..

i had to kill and regrow all my back garden this year, after i found it was infested with couch grass……its now growing back lovely, with one type of seed and not a mash up of loads of grasses.

• Like Like x 1
      • Temmy

Video game designer
        Ratings:
        +13
        Ok, glysophate it is!

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,101

In image 3 of post #1, the difference in levels of the gravel boards in that corner suggests there is already a slope in the garden, and probably towards that corner.