1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New gardener hoping to grow veg

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by GaGa73, Apr 29, 2021.

1. GaGa73

GaGa73 Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi everyone:old: gaga here from beautiful North Wales, looking to get advice on starting a new vegetable patch in our garden.

2. Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
    Ratings:
    +54,373
    Hi there @GaGa73 and a very warm

[​IMG]

Not a veggie grower myself but there are plenty here who do, so you'll never go short on advice.:carrot::pepper:

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,494
      Welcome to Gardeners Corner GaGa. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • GaGa73

GaGa73 Gardener

Ratings:
        +12
        Hello again, been a bit busy so not had time to get online, thanks for the warm welcome

I’m looking to start growing some stuff in our back garden but am not really sure what and how best to do it, I like to potter in the garden especially in the warmer months but I feel I need to step up my game from just watering plants and weeding borders, also I have two beautiful twin granddaughters who I would love to be able to teach what I learn, they already help out with the watering haha.

Anyway so I have started to prepare an area and am just after some guidance of what to plant, where best and when etc?

I will be laying the paving flags down the middle of the area so I'll be able to access everything easily, this will give me two rows for planting, it's south facing so will get the sun all day (when it's out) Our back garden is a very windy one but mainly from the West/South West so the fencing and right hand sleeper wall will offer some protection against that.

I'm waiting on some more topsoil to be delivered tomorrow so would like to get started with some seed planting soon if possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice

PXL_20210430_141025283.jpg PXL_20210430_141041124.jpg PXL_20210430_141053088.jpg

• Like Like x 2
          Last edited: May 13, 2021
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,494
          I can see you live in a rural situation with a lovely view. The fence will help with the prevailing wind of course but if it is damaging you will have to be careful with choice of plants. I also live rurally with an open aspect so understand your situation.

I think it would be best for you to start a thread either in Gardening Discussions or Garden Projects where our friends here are more likely to see your posts and give any help you need. It would also help please if you put your area in your avatar box. This helps us regarding your climate and we can adjust advice if necessary. :)

• Like Like x 1
          • mopucimu

mopucimu Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +1
            Hello and welcome ;)

• Like Like x 1
            • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +45,994
              Hello and welcome GaGa.

Regards what to grow, go for things your granddaughters like, strawberries are a good bet and can be bought as young plants that will produce fruit this year. Mine enjoy picking peas and eating straight from the plot, these are easy to grow from seed. Also get them to help sowing and growing sunflowers, quick results and lots of fun as they can get very tall - will need staking on your windy site.

Lettuce, spinach and rocket are quick and easy from seed and can be sown now.

Mine love runner beans, again can be sown now, always productive and they will enjoy picking them. These will need a study frame.

• Like Like x 1