1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New gardener - Japanese Cedar - need help!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by mk2phil, Sep 10, 2020.

1. mk2phil

mk2phil Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I'm hoping that I could get some friendly advice with regards to a problem I have in my new garden.

I recently moved into a new house where the previous occupants were avid gardeners and have created a beautiful garden over the last 40 years. Unfortunately the previous owners had both passed away so I wasn't able to speak to them about anything whatsoever, and now find myself attempting to maintain the garden that they had invested so much time in. We have 3 young children so weren't not able to dedicate the same amount of time as the previous occupants, but we're hoping that we can stay on top of it and maintain once we get to grips with a few things.

The most pressing issue I have is some browning of what I believe to be Japanese Red Cedar trees. I noticed it in the weeks following the recent heatwave we had - although it could possibly have been occurring before then without me noticing.

IMG_9278.JPG IMG_9277.JPG IMG_9276.JPG IMG_9275.JPG

Once I spotted it I gave them a good water at the base, but in the last few weeks they seem to be slowly getting worse. I'm guilty of not regularly watering the border areas in general, and I fully expect to be told that needs to change! (irrigation soaker hoses are being explored)

I've closely inspected the leaves and I cannot see any insects or anything that looks suspicious, so I'm left wondering whether I need to water them very regularly or if I need to 'feed' them with a fertiliser of some kind? For all I know, the previous owners may have regularly 'fed' them, but I haven't done anything like that in the year since we've moved in.

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated. It's a beautiful garden and I'd like to do them justice considering the effort the previous owners put into it.

Many thanks,

Phil

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,320
    @mk2phil As they appear to be fairly well established I doubt if it's shortage of water. although it does depend where you are in the country. Filling in your location would be a help.
    It could just be part of the natural cycle of growth, although cedars are evergreen they do lose "fronds" as they age. My Cupressus often have some brown patches on them and lose inner/lower greenery so as long as overall they are producing new growth I'm fairly happy.

• Like Like x 1
    • mk2phil

mk2phil Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks @NigelJ. I'm in South Bucks btw, sorry should have mentioned that. I've noticed that all my them - I have around 10 in total - all have some browning at the inner bottom, and if I touch them they very easily fall off. Shall I just keep an eye on them to see how they progress?

Would you advise any feeding regime for them rather than simply leaving them without any attention?

Many thanks

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,898
      Not much help, but there are some fairly large specimens of these at Bedgebury pineatum.
      As I remember they also had quite a lot of browning in places.
      I think as long as the new growth looks good and healthy it might just be what happens to them once they reach a reasonable size.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,320
        @mk2phil I'd just keep an eye on them. I wouldn't feed them either.

• Agree Agree x 1