New Gardeners - Hows it going?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by aqua, May 24, 2005.

1. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Being new to this gardening lark as I am, I'm also very nosey about what other people are doing :D

So hows it going? I never realised that I'd be so proud of all my plants (even naming some [​IMG] )

My tomato plants are half potted up into their bigger pots now (cos the mini greenhouse wasn't big enough so I've had to bite the bullet and stick them outside with a beady eye on the weather forecasts :D ), my tomatillo plants are looking fantastic and my peppers and chillis quite clearly need some warm weather before they remember they're supposed to be growing :D

So whats happening for you lot?

2. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Aqua,

Ditto with my chillis!

I planted some courgettes and I could see a little bit of green on Saturday then yesterday they were suddenly about 3" high!!! So I'm delighted about that. My tomatoes have gone crispy on their bottom two leaves despite being well cared for so I'm worried about that. I think my poor peas must've drowned in the recent deluges here, and I haven't felt like planting anything else outside for the same reason.

I like to hear about how other new gardeners get on too! [​IMG]

3. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Aqua,
    I have the problem now I don't seem to have the space to put everything I am growing.Everything is ready too quick for me.Tomato plants I am giving them away.I only need 2 Ive got 12.
    What I will do with 10 pumpkins. I need to turn my front lawn into a veg garden but I will need lots of advice on that?
    I love gardening but need help with planning and time management!!

4. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :D I have the same problem though Ive manged to trim down to a mere 14 tomato plants (cos I've got 5 varities) from nearly 30 :D

I didn't think anything would actually grow! its been sucha nice surprise

5. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,879
    I planted 3 sweet million tomato's out 2 weeks ago, and they are really coming on (in fact they are starting to flower), about 1 week ago, I planted out 8 Gardeners delight and 2 Roma VF (plum type tomato).

My salad onions are coming on well. awaiting better weather to plant out sweet peppers, Aubergine etc.

Nathan.

6. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :D I would just like to announce that my peas didn't drown, and yesterday they poked their heads out of the pots - Hooray!! :D

My tomatoes are still wilting - would this have anything to do with the fact that the shed backs onto the garage hence exhaust fumes will be present in the air. It's pretty well ventilated but still...

7. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My second cucumber plant is dying on me, :( I think this time the cause was the automatic watering had sprinkled all over its leaves and it has hung limp since, I have carefully moved it to a dry area where in the ground it can be watered from the base.Is there any chance this can recover as I think it will be too late to buy another plant. :confused:
    Jacqui

8. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    I've been spending time moving thing to less crowded spots. I got my first garden 12 years ago I was detemined not to over plant this garden when I moved in 2 years ago and I still haven't learnt that my garden is not a TARDIS. I don't seem to be able to resist anything that's pretty and unusual or about to thrown out I've got 3 hydrangers from Mum's garden to find a spot for now.