New House, New Garden - big project!

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by louicopp, Apr 16, 2022.

1. louicopp

louicopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I have just moved into a new house which has a very mature garden. The property had not been lived in for around 2 years and the garden was probably left untended for a while before that.

At the bottom part of the garden, we have a Yew tree that is around 40+ feet tall and lots of other evergreens. It feels very much like a woodland which I love! The problem is, I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do with it. The garden has a big problem with ivy which is going to take a long time to address - there is already a weed control fabric that the ivy has grown over. I would love to have a bit of a grass area there but I'm guessing that might be a bit difficult to do?

What would you do with this area?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sienna's Blossom

Sienna's Blossom Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,875
    Congrats on the new house, I'm sure whatever you decide to do with the garden it'll be lovely. I can see why you love the woodland feel, and I bet its great for wildlife too. Enjoy it!

:spinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +8,189
      The top of my garden was like that, I cleared a little patch each day, just so you can see where you've been.
      Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
      • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,138
        Lovely :) pull up the fabric and you might find a lot of the ivy is just growing on top, a lot will have rooted through too but as John said, little by little.
        Have you seen Monty Don's garden, it has a few areas that you can copy. I have a similar area at the bottom of mine and I'm shoving in woodland plants, rhodys, ferns etc. It's just got a kids climbing frame too which detracts somewhat but the heart is there!

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +45,619
          It's got great potential. It's maybe a bit shady for a decent lawn, is there a clearing that gets more light?