1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New House

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Jack Snakes, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Jack Snakes

Jack Snakes Gardener

Production Manager
    Ratings:
    +121
    So, once again it is time for my 3-yearly post explosion... :biggrin: Having taken on a new job near Cullompton in Devon, we have decided to move from the Dorset coast. Renting with 3 cats and 2 dogs is no longer really an option, so we're buying somewhere in the Blackdown Hills. The house faces west, with a line of (TPO) trees and a field to the south...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At the back there's a greenhouse against the north fence and a conservatory... the whole thing is unkempt and overgrown, with straggly fruit trees, a cherry laurel, a mass of vines and creepers hanging from a fir tree, and what was once a bed of fuscias that are out of control
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Intentions and questions are numerous... but I am not a fan of gravel, so all of that at the front will be coming up. It's at least 60 square metres and I intend to regrass it either side of what may or may not be a path... The trees will have to be cut back but, as mentioned, every tree in the village is covered by a TPO so permission must be sought, but this is not usually unreasonably withheld.
    I want a pond on the right half at the front, but that's for another year... haven't thought about the left yet apart from grass so, first question :biggrin:
    Is there anything special I must do to the soil under the gravel in order for turf to take? I am not sure how long it has been gravel, but they are pretty large bits (20mm+) and have discoloured over time.
    As always, the fabulous advice received from knowledgeable patrons on here is gratefully received :biggrin:

• Like Like x 4
    • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +44,671
      I think that when you take the gravel up it will need digging over because of compaction. I think grass doesn't need anything else but someone else might know more.
      But here's a video on how to do it.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,164
      That looks like a lovely location. It's unusual to have patio doors at the front, are you planning to make the front garden more private, so you could sit out there?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jack Snakes

Jack Snakes Gardener

Production Manager
        Ratings:
        +121
        Not 100% sure yet but, the way the street is arranged means that we are not overlooked by either the house next to us or the one across from us. The house is, as can be seen, the last on the street (of 9 houses) and it is pretty quiet. There are 3 or 4 fir trees on the bank just before the field... I think they'll be coming down. Are those leylandii? I wonder if it will be difficult to take them down...

• Like Like x 2
        • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
          Ratings:
          +1,136
          Looks like a nice spot. Well, apart from all the gravel.
          I especially like the greenhouse/conservatory.

You are probably right to remove all that gravel first to make it a lot more presentable. Maybe you could ask the city it those trees can go of you plant some new ones in their place (apples, pears, cherries ...)

• Agree Agree x 1
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,164
            It did look nice and not overlooked from the photos. Maybe it catches the evening sun and a previous owner sat out the front.

• Like Like x 1
            • Jack Snakes

Jack Snakes Gardener

Production Manager
              Ratings:
              +121
              I think trimming is allowed with permission but, unless the tree presents a danger or is diseased, it is unlikely to be felled. The parish guard their rurality (is that a word...?) fiercely. Traditional agriculture methods are supported. I think I can fell the fir trees that are on the field side - they look horrible anyway, and bushes and shrubs aren't covered by the tree protection order. I have some fruit trees - plum, cherry and apple in pots waiting to go into the ground, and I would love to be able to plant some hazel and chestnut... maybe even walnut (although they get to be big buggers) but we shall see... :)

• Like Like x 2