1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New laid turf - us this normal ?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Fran Hurren, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Fran Hurren

Fran Hurren Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,168
    No, it's not normal, looks to have lots of bald patches. When was it laid and did it look ok to begin with?

3. Fran Hurren

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thank you for responding. It was laid on the 19th july, and although long looked great. We watered it daily, i wonder if too much, not much more growth. But didn’t touch or walk on it. Then went on holiday for 7 days, 9th august. On our return it was about a foot long, and folded over. . I mowed it on highest setting, now bring 4/5 weeks from lay and this is what we had. I have been watering and again mowed on highest setting, but this is the result? . Any help would be fab

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,168
    It looks to have been mown too low, are you sure you used the highest setting? Mowing too low chops off the top green parts of grass, what you see now is the brown lower stems. Experiment with your mower settings to get it higher.

I would not feed, but do keep watering.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,030
    Looks to me like it was cut with a blunt mower and its kind of pulled and squashed rather than cutting cleanly, its the effect you get with a strimmer if you get my meaning.

Think it will recover, but grass does slow down at this time of the year I find, until the autumn rains start proper.

6. Fran Hurren

Ratings:
    +0