1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New Laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Ian Taylor, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Ian Taylor

Ian Taylor Total Gardener

Maintenance Manager, Oddfellows on the Park.
    Ratings:
    +2,751
    Just bought a new Toshiba laptop with a free windows 10 upgrade, looks really great,

• Like Like x 2
    • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
      Ratings:
      +10,584
      good for you. have no clue what that means hope it works well to what you want from it.
      My lap top belongs to the company I work for, so they deal with the upgrades etc. and the change outs etc. I just have to make sure all my work stuff is saved in their "cloud server" . Sometime they will announce a new computer for all, so far, with budget cuts I think they will wait a while for that, good for me. I do have to use my hard drive to upload my pics in there to keep should I ever decide to part ways with this company, I have my pics safe somewhere besides photobucket.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      I bought a new Laptop a few weeks ago, Ian, so that I could use it to control a CCD camera, and had to install first Windows 8.1. And then because it came with a free Windows 10 upgrade off i decided to do so......wrong!! I downloaded W10 and started to install it One of the things that happened was that the installation was very protracted as it seemed to be installing in stages, stopping and starting, shutting down the Laptop and restarting it. I left it overnight still powered up to get on with the installation to find it was fully installed........but had locked up the Laptop which wouldn't responded to any command prompt.
      I spent two days, going on the Net with my Desktop, trying to find a solution to problem and can usually work a way around to find a solution.......but not this time. In the end I had to take the Laptop to our Local Computer Guy who wiped W10 off the Laptop and gave me back W8.1, which worked fine. So I'm taking his advice and leaving W10 for a while until the bugs are sorted out. You may have no problems at all downloading W10.......so good luck with that!!:thumbsup::heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Ian Taylor

Ratings:
        +2,751
        Ive heard the same with W10, so running W8.1 on it at the moment, not really used it yet

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Yep, I would definitely leave it for a while, Ian. I'm not sure whether the problem was caused by trying to install W10 with hours of installing W8.1 which was probably just "settling down", and also the fact the W10 seemed to be filing away 18.1 in stages making an interminable number of stopping and starting. I'll stick with W8.1 for a good while until I know for sure W10 is sorted.:coffee:

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        I only want my new puter after Christmas . It's really just something too play around with in 'orrible January. But.. .. I am getting a tad paranoid about the Windows 10.0 reports on here...i.e. does the sodding thing work !!:help:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Well, I have to admit "Yes"......sometimes, Harry. Just before this all happened an update for Windows 7 on my Desktop caused a switching of the accounts within it and a lot of messing around to get it back....so I, in a fit of pique, took up the free upgrade offer that Microsoft seemed to have put on all computers. Apart from it taking 36 hours to finally install with, again, an interminable number of stops and starts, messages like "Hi, let's get started" several times during the installation along with lots of "Just sorting a few things out" just when I thought it had finally installed. So whether or not I was lucky to get it to install at all is a matter of conjecture, I guess!!:dunno:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
      • Ian Taylor

Ratings:
        +2,751
        Its all to technical for me :yikes:,

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,926
          I've been prompted to install W 10 a few times but like W8, it seems to be based around a touch screen.
          I run W8 in desktop mode as I dont have a touch screen, and why the hell would I want one?
          Large hand movements, when all I do is move a mouse an inch and click, its so much easier, I find.
          My mobile phone drives me crazy as you cant actually hold the bloody thing without touching the screen, and doing something you didn't want to.
          Plus you need a stylus type thing to use the screen as its all so small.

Touch screens are great for some things but not imo for PCs. they have them in public places and it works fine for checking in at the Docs etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836

It is meant for the touch screen concept, Pete, but I use my mouse without any problem. The monitor on my Desktop is not touchscreen and to be honest I'm glad it's not.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,997
            'Black Friday' this year is on the 27th November, go and grab a bargain!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
            • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              I think I'll pass on Black Friday @Scrungee ! I'll pay a few extra quid and save my iffy knee .:biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,997
                There's always Cyber Monday the following week on November 30th.

• lykewakewalker

lykewakewalker Apprentice Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +710
                I upgraded to W10 last weekend and the upgrade went fine. I then spent four days trying to "like" W10 but I absolutely hate just about everything about it, I went back to W8 and will not be leaving it now.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                Well, Windows 10 is not so intuitive, to me, as Windows 7, but it's not so bad just different and perhaps a little long winded in getting to things. Also now when I connect my Pentax K5 to my PC it doesn't seem to be recognised by and so no download window appears and I can't download any images:wallbanging::dunno::gaah: That, in itself, might drive me back to Windows 7.:coffee::snork: