1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New Lawn From Old

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by MountainMike, Nov 3, 2021.

1. MountainMike

MountainMike Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    In our back garden we have what used to be a lawn but, for various reasons, the grass has "worn" away mainly due to foot traffic where I have been doing some other work. This has left hard compacted muddy soil complete with the roots of the old lawn. It's also quite stony and I have been trying to dig it with a view to disposing of the remnants of the old turf, levelling it and putting down top soil(circa depth 5 - 10 mm) and then either seeding it or putting turf down.

It's quite hard going and, with winter fast approaching, I'm wondering whether to concede and hand over to a contractor.

The maximum area for grassing is about 9-10 square metres. Is anyone able to suggest what a realistic cost MIGHT be for it to be done professionally?

Many thanks

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,807
    It's a bit late in the season to be doing this @MountainMike . We're already getting frost's so grass growth will be minimal so I think you'd be better served waiting to spring.
    A good approach tends to be to kill off the area, rotovate, level and seed. Remove all the stones etc in the process

3. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Mike, my front lawn was very patchy so we decided to use GreenThumbs for a lawn makeover. All the details are on the site. They glypho the lawn, then rotovate it layer of top soil and then reseed.
    This is a photo of the lawn one month later July 2020. They come back 3 or 4 times to inspect the lawn and do a patch reseed after 2 weeks. You need to water it twice a day until its established.
    Now reseed versus turf the jury is still out on that one. Greenthumb are not the cheapest but I was very impressed with their work, and it is only a small lawn. Shopping around you may get a better price, it's hard work doing it yourself.
    Details are on the Greenthumb site of the makeover package.

Photos before and after 1 month ( and a big splodge of money!)
    20200717_084144.jpg

20200612_084742.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,610
      @HarryS it would be wise to blot out your car registration plates when using images on the web. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • HarryS

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        I normally would do Sheal, but I sold the Mitsubishi last year. Thanks anyway :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,610
          So all those people that were going to turn up on your doorstep are now headed to someone else's @HarryS. :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
          • HarryS

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            Yes some poor bloke in Birmingham :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1