1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New lawn laid, starting to brown, whats up? Help needed!!

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by DenProject, May 21, 2011.

1. DenProject

DenProject Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. Iv never laid my own lawn before but i did on Wednesday 18th. Previous to laying, i rotorvated, raked, levelled and got rid of all stones and large lumps etc so it looked, well, in perfect condition to lay the turf. Or as perfect as possible without spending lots!! I then layed the turf, making sure it was well pressed down, getting rid of any air pockets. The turf was from a large reputable dealer by the way.

After laying, i gave it a good watering, and since then iv been leaving the sprinkler on for 60-90 mins per evening, in four 15-22 min quarters of the garden, giving all the grass an even as possible amount of water.

The problem now is, when i looked at it at 10am today, Saturday 21st, some of the edges of around half of the pieces of turf have started to go a yellowy brown. In two of the pieces, directly in the middle of the lawn, are starting to do this in the middle of the peices too.

Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong in preperation, if i have done something wrong, or is this natural? If not, is there anyway of reversing this process to save the lawn? Feeding? More water etc? Please help!! Thank you.

Regards, Mark.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Mark, you have done everything right, I think you should increase the watering time to 30 minutes per section though.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
    • DenProject

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks buddy, but iv just walked to the middle via a plank, and it seems really soft under foot, so it seems its getting its fair share of water. When iv come to think of it, when watering each quadrant, the middle will obviously be getting watered all the time, and thats where its browning most. Do you reckon its drowning it?

Cheers

• daitheplant

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      If it`s draining into the centre of the plot, then that could very well be the problem.:dbgrtmb: Leave off watering for 2 or 3 days so that it can drain away.

• DenProject

Ratings:
      +0
      Do you reckon watering it with some kind of feed would do any good?

• daitheplant

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      No, the lawn is too young to be fed. Leave it to it`s own devices for now, but don`t let it dry out.:dbgrtmb: