1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New member needs advice please :)

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by aero, Jan 29, 2013.

1. aero

aero Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi All,

I am a new member on this forum. I would not really describe myself as a gardener but its a growing passion.

I have a money plant (think its officially called a jade plant). I was given a small cutting 18 months ago which literally consisted of two leaves.

Anyway it now about inches tall and probably has 35-40 leaves.
    Its planted in a smallish pot - I now want to replant it in a larger pot.

I have a few questions.

What type of soil should I use (im not familiar with ph levels etc so would just need off the shelf stuff etc)

Should / Could I use fertiliser?

How often should I water the plant?

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,692
    Welcome!

Money plants are indoors and a general purpose potting compost will be fine. No need to fertilise when you pot it on as the new compost has nutrients added but you might consider a houseplant feed (baby bio or similar) after a couple of months. Keep it damp, not wet.

Best of luck

3. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,177
    Hi there Aero,
    so glad you came here to ask your "how to's". If you can keep your money plant healthy, you'll never be destitute - so look after it. Yep, thru' Winter, it won't want much water - never leave its feet in water, drain off after a few minutes. In late Spring it will respond to the stronger light, longer day length and increasing sun's warmth and will grow on. In the Summer, a gentle leaf wash/shower outdoors will make it happy and you may even find an extra couple of quid in a pocket that you'd forgotten about:blue thumb: !!
    enjoy GC - it's a great happy garden,
    Jenny
    :sign0016:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Welcome to Gardeners Corner:sign0016:

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
    • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
      Ratings:
      +28,409
      I presume you Jade plant is a Crassula, a robust succulent which can survive neglect. Tolerant of poor soil and (as above) hates being wet, particularly in winter.
      A general potting compost with some added grit, to assist drainage, will be ok but not now, wait until March.

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Hi aero, welcome to Gardeners Corner:thumbsup: :snork: . It looks like you've been getting some good advice and so your interest in gardening will bubble even more.:hapydancsmil: