1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New member - Silver Birch tree question

Discussion in 'Trees' started by ianbeag, Jul 2, 2015.

1. ianbeag

ianbeag Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have a number of very mature Silver Birch trees in my garden. One is positioned where there is a ground cover of dense ivy which now completely covers the trunk of one Silver Birch to a height of around 18-20ft. It started to creep up the trunk from ground level and has risen 4-6 ft annually. My question - is this likely to cause damage to the tree? I'm concerned that, in spite of the ivy cover looking very attractive, it could result in suffocating a precious tree. Any advice will be most welcome and much appreciated. Thank you.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,600
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Ian. :)

Although ivy is unlikely to damage the trunk of the tree, if it's allowed to grow into the canopy that's where the damage will be done by strangling and deforming branches. It will also eventually cover the canopy. The longer you leave it, the harder it will be to remove.

• Like Like x 1
    • Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,028
    • ianbeag

ianbeag Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Sheal. Thank you for taking the time to respond - much appreciated. I will certainly terminate the rapid upwards spread at a manageable height to avoid suffocating the canopy area. . . I like my Silver Birch too much to risk losing one.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,600
        You're welcome Ian. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1