1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

new poly tunnel

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by peter m, Feb 27, 2011.

1. peter m

peter m Apprentice Gardener

KP
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi there

i just built my new poly tunnel know awaiting some spring weather to get started with it my plan is to have a raised bed on one side and a bench and grow bags on the other, tunnel is 10ft long 9 ft wide.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats great Peter & Welcome to Gardeners Corner :thumbsup:

What are you planning on growing in it ?

3. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Peter and welcome to the GC forum.

Great to see someone else with a polytunnel.

Can I make a suggestion? You might like to have a rethink about a raised bed on one side of your tunnel and a bench on the other side. My reason for suggesting this is that I was wondering if you have considered which way round you have your tunnel with regard to the rise and setting of the sun. Also what shadows are cost on the tunnel by surrounding trees, sheds, buildings.

These things are important for a tunnel as everything you plan to grow inside the tunnel is completely dependant on you. Sunlight is vital to grow successfully in a tunnel. The polythene cover does not transmit as much sunlight as a glasshouse. So you need to make best use of what is available. Very simple to check on this, just watch where shadows fall during the day. Then plan any structures once you know where the shadows are.

10 x 9 feet is a good size tunnel. You will be amazed at what you can grow in there. You will probably also be surprised at how quickly things happen and how early.

What sort of things are you planning on growing? Fruit? Veg? Flowers? How about some pictures of what you are doing? There are lots of very experienced gardeners here, many will be very happy to offer advice and make suggestions as to how to get the best from what you are doing.

Best of luck with your new tunnel. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

Regards

Chopper.

4. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    There are also inexperienced gardeners who would really appreciate taking a look at what your doing with your polytunnel! (Like me! :thumbsup: )

:heehee: :dbgrtmb:

5. Chopper

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112

Good point. Besides which I am also very interested in what other tunnel owners are doing.

Chopper

6. peter m

KP
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for the tips guys been watching the sun and shadows this week iam luck there are no tall buildings or trees directly behind our garden only shade i do have is late afternoon, my shed runs along ones side of the tunnel, iam planning on mixed useage of the tunnel fruit, veg and flowers yes must post some pictures as i progress not been this excited in the garden for many years know.

7. Chopper

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112

Mrs Chopper here!!

Have hijacked Choppers login..... :heehee: It is amazing how many doors the polytunnel has opened, the weather becomes less of a hinderance, if it's cold and wet then we can still get 'in the garden', and yes you are right it is exciting we have only had the tunnel for six months but it has enabled us to over winter young fragile plants and grow veg that would have struggled outside this winter. Never a day goes by without us spending time in the tunnel. We have no heating in it at all and, yes, the temperature has dropped below freezing this year for long periods of time but I think that because the climate inside the polytunnel is different, ie not wet and damp combined with the cold, it seems to give the plants a better shot at survival. We made the mistake of chucking out a few plants that looked dead, because others that we didn't chuck out are now sprouting new growth.

Some people may think it's a bit sad getting excited about gardening but where else in this world can you shove a seed the size of a pinhead in the dirt and it seemingly produces wonderful flowers and veg from nothing. Nothing beats gardening for keeping you relaxed and happy, if whatever you do doesn't work, no worries there is aways something else you can try out and experiment with. The possiblities are endless.

I hope you enjoy your tunnel as much as we enjoy ours, best money we ever spent!!!

Mrs Chopper signing off for now :D

8. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Hi Mrs Chopper, Just wanted to say "Hi" and "Welcome to GC". Get that man of yours to sort you out a login/account of your own.

Steve...:)

9. Chopper

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112

Mrs Chopper can have her own log in when she has ironed my shirt, polished my Harley, cooked my dinner and asked my permission to use the computer. Not before.

I am the boss in my house......................... Mrs Chopper said I can say so!!!:D

Chopper

10. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Now the other "skills" I can believe inexplicably deserted you on the day you got married, but polishing your Harley??? :D

11. peter m

KP
    Ratings:
    +3
    :heehee::heehee:thanks guys:rofl: this has made me laugh hope mrs chopper not got the use of a chopper or mr chopper will be in big trouble :rofl:

12. peter m

KP
    Ratings:
    +3
    ok i have posted some pictures of our tunnel in the albums

13. peter m

KP
    Ratings:
    +3
    things are jumping fast in the poly tunnel know we have been eating some lettuce leaves this week nice and early for us