New PolyTunneller Looking for Some Help

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by lesdyork, Dec 1, 2011.

1. lesdyork

lesdyork Apprentice Gardener

retired - from IT work in Banking
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello out there,
    Just got poly tunnel - used to just have some beds and bags and pots etc dotted about.
    Now I got it - I need to prepare the ground - it's grass...would like to raise some beds as the topsoil is shallow over clay but book says to look out for wire worm and leather jackets! doesn't say what to do if i find them!!!!
    I intend to rotovate with me little tiller and then build som beds and put in some good topsoil...
    cheers les:scratch:

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Welcome to GC lesdyork! Whats your christian name?

I would strip off the turf with a spade before rotovating, stack the turf in an out of the way place grass to grass and soil to soil for a few years..it will eventually make great loam.

Wireworm lives in grassland toget rid of it you can speed up it;s life cycle so it leave the soil by planting a summer manure crop called Mustard, grow it, dig it in and the wireworm will feed on that and grow up then depart.

Also, if you rotovate grass of weeds you will still have them as it just grows back. Dig it up and away first, then rotovate, then build your beds and import your topsoil.

I've no experience with Leatherjackets..sorry.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
    • lesdyork

lesdyork Apprentice Gardener

retired - from IT work in Banking
      Ratings:
      +4
      Steve,
      Name is Les.... thanks a lot for the reply - I will do as you suggest ....rotovating grass is a bit of a job anyway and I have a great soil supplier locally.

Whoops, sorry for sending with the spelling so poor. Also apologies for the delay in getting back but I have been making the most of this weather and getting a load of work done and not been online.

les d