1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW REUSE OF WASTE IDEAS?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by J.R.P., Feb 9, 2007.

1. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,this is my first post on this website,which I hope will be one of many as I'm into reusing plastic containers of all shapes and sizes,and reusing unwanted wooden pallets too,to help reduce them going into landfill sites in the UK if I can,and in the rest of the world too.I hope you don't mind but I've also put this on container gardening too,to help promote my ideas as they both involve growing things,and to do with reusing-recycling of waste.
    To see what I have already made as a designer and inventor in my spare time,which you can do too,please visit my website, www.recycling.moonfruit.com which I hope you will find of interest to you all in one way or another. May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John. J.R.P.

[ 08. January 2008, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: J.R.P. ]

2. boygardener

boygardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Well done you have a good site there.

kind regards boygardener

3. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi boygardener,thank you for showing your interest in the way I do things.
    May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John. J.R.P.

4. weekend gardener

weekend gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi J.R.P i like your ideas, especially the bottle men they are brillant. How do you make the drainage holes in your milk canisters when i make holes in plastic pot they spit.

Could you possibly do a better close up of your pyramid?

5. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Weekend Gardener,thank you for showing your interest in the way I do things,I make no holes in any of my container caps,I just undo or do them up to control my water recycling system. Please try cliking on to the pyramid photo to make it larger that should do the trick.

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Weekend Gardener - You can reduce the chance of splitting plastic containers by using a hot nail to melt holes in them.

7. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I really like your ideas John.

I am going to save my bottles and try a small scale next year. Thanks for sharing this with us.

8. weekend gardener

weekend gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    thanks dave w i'll try the nail thing.

9. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :D Hi Badsal72,thank you for showing your interest in the way I do things,if there's anything you wont to know please ask.

10. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  11. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Liz,thank you for showing your interest in the way I do things,I'm sorry you are unable to see what others can.

12. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ALL,if your interested in the way I do things,and if you are using my plastic container system idea. What's happening my own potatoes top leaves are now starting to come up through my compost, which were bought from ASDAs which I put in on the 30-12-2006,so I've decided to make up a lot of extension sleeves to fit inside my 4 or 6 pint cut upside down milk containers,so that I can earth them up so to speak another 4 inches like you would do to get more potatoes. All I've done is to cut off the round part with the cap on from the base just below the handle, so when it's fitted inside another 4 or 6 pinter it rests on the inside flat part of the milk container so that the handle hole meets forming a seal,I can then add more compost as the potato plant grows. I've saved the cut off section to use for putting some seeds in, as it rests on the cap ok. My lettuce seedlings are also coming up ok sown in chinese take away flat plastic containers which were sown on the 23-2-2007, Cos and little gem,going by how many seedling I've got I should be able to grow at least 200 of each easily in just two pallet sections with two growing in each container like I did last year. My community project is going well now we are up and running,this year we hope to make some headlines as a group of people who are interested in growing things like hearbs and other things,which the local community can help them selves to when the lerning centre is open if they want fresh herbs at any time, if they have not got a garden for example. Plus we have a creche for people who are learning things so we are going to get their children to grow things too,and then put them in to our containers outside in the back yard area to grow on,designed for all ages. Which are fixed to the railings going around the yard to save using the play or seating area we intend to use in the summer. The local lady vicar is also going to have the same idea going around the back of the church so the people who use her church and the hall can grow things too. Like Age Concern. I will try to get some other people to talk about our project to you on this forum as it would be nice to hear what they had to say good or bad,like some people already do on here.
    May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John.J.R.P.

13. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ALL,I've just finished putting my last potatoes in with a bit of growth on them into my 4 pinters and 2 litre bottles,and I've just emptied out 80 small potatoes from my 5th pallet section on the left hand side of my plot,sown on the 8-2-2006 YES, 8-2-2006,a bit small and they have started to put out roots too but they are ok.
    This makes my total of containers with potatoes in 450,that should keep us going until my family give me some more potatoes they were going to throw away,bought from ASDAs. If you look at my plot photos you will see 5 pallets sections on the left side,and 3 front middle ones,these are my A-B-C sections with my D section one behind my A section from left to right,my E-F sections have strawberries growing in them on their bottom section.My newly made extension sleeves are working great with the top leaves now coming through in my 4 pinters already, sown on the 30-12-2006. I can't wait to see what crop I will get. May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John. J.R.P.

14. Fairfield

Fairfield Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to have read this exact same story word for word on another forum???

15. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fairfield,thank you for showing your interest in the way I do things,yes your right, I did explain this in my first post on this topic.
    And yes I've done the same thing on other websites too, to help promote my way of doing things. which you may have seen when you visited other sites to do with growing things.