NEW REUSE-RECYCLING OF WASTE IDEAS?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by J.R.P., Feb 4, 2007.

1. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,this is my first post on this website,which I hope will be one of many as I'm into reusing plastic containers of all shapes and sizes,and reusing unwanted wooden pallets too,to help reduce them going into landfill sites in the UK if I can,and in the rest of the world too.
    To see what I have already made as a designer and inventor in my spare time which you can do too,please visit my website, www.recycling.moonfruit.com which I hope you will find of interest to you all in one way or another. May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John. J.R.P.

[ 08. January 2008, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: J.R.P. ]

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Great site J.R.P. lots of good ideas I use lots of plastic bottles as mini cloches it is a shame we create all the waste we do nice to see it put to good use

3. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi walnut,thank you for showing your interest in the way I do things,and it's nice to know you are doing your bit too.
    May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. :D John. J.R.P.

4. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi John,
    I am pleased to know that somebody is interested in the welfare of the poors in the world, which is a subject that deeply touches me.
    I sometime feel that it is much more satisfactory to contribuite to charity in a more direct way, rather than a donation, which you loose track of.
    Now, I am taking this chance to go a little out of track, if you don't mind...
    In more developed Countries, people don't generally agree about the idea of poorly paid workers in disadvantaged Countries; they see it as exploitation.
    My opinion is that: provided the workers are not forced into anything that they don't agree and properly trained (be able to produce to required standard), those who make them work, have just saved their life!

There are people in India that sell their kidney in order to eat...
    I am pretty sure that they wouldn't mind a little sewing...

Beside, they would be vey happy left alone in their little village and helped there.
    I personally have this kind of approach and I couldn't sit at my table and eat, thinking that somebody far away is hungry, not to mention dying,and do nothing about it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>

we are definitely going towards the recycling era.
    Your idea to reuse bottle of milk works, but due to the visual impact that makes it a bit "desperate measure" , i doubt would have a significant impact in the uk.
    Besides, you mention a "patent", but, I didn't quite get it: what do you have this patent on...?, as you cannot have a patent on a concept.
    If the patent is on five or six bottles glued together you will have to produce a hell of a lot of "systems" just to repay the patent! But, maybe you do it just for the the fame...
    Anyway, J.R.P., I truly appreciate your example and i would like to add for those who are reading: DON'T WASTE!
    It is easy to throw away things because it is so simple to get a new one. What about: repairing, restoring, cleaning....taking a little time for things, instead than rushing all the time...
    I let you go and thank you all for being so patient!

5. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi miraflores,thank you for sharing your thoughts with me and others. My patent is for something like the cats eyes you see on our roads,but it's a element inside a container made of clear plastic,which could be made from waste plastic containers to help reduce them going into landfill sites,but I have no money to take it any further,like all my other ideas.
    As for my simple to make transporable containers system idea,which I'm offering to the world for FREE,today I met a gentleman called ABDUL from Syria who grows things on his own allotment plot in the UK not far away from my allotment plot site,who's really interested in the way I grow things,to the point I'm going to show him my plot next week,as he said that he will get in touch with some people he knows in Saudi Arabia,because they are in the process of trying to reclaim the desert back,done by putting soil on top of it,which they are buying from Australia which is very expensive,but because my system cost nothing to make he thinks they will be very interested in it,and because it has it's own water recycling system built into it too,which I showed him when we first met at my latest project site. Plus the fact he was going to help spread the word anyway,which is all good news.
    May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John.J.R.P.

[ 09. February 2007, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: J.R.P. ]

6. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Points raised about my patent to do with making a profit,which I have spent my life savings on,only to be told that I need thousands of more pounds to take it into the market place,which I wont do because it would put me and my wife into debt,plus every year I have to carry on paying over �£200 to keep it enforced. So until I come up on the �£1 lottery ticket we do, things will carry on as they are,which is a shame when I'm trying to save lives.
    Exactly what am I aiming at,if people take the time to read my pages they will have seen I'm offering my container idea for FREE,what more can one man offer do to help mainly the poor people in our world if it can help to feed them.
    If we can send our waste to China,we can send it to any country who want to reuse it like they do,which I think is a good idea,but of course there are others who think it's not a good idea,it depends on what concerns you.
    May we all live long and happy. John. J.R.P.

[ 19. March 2007, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: J.R.P. ]

7. weekend gardener

weekend gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi J.R.P. [​IMG] loved your ideas, the bottle people are fantastic.
    I have seen quite a few things made out of plastic containers, you can make a dustpans out of them too, and i know when they are recycled some containers are used to make compost bins.

What are you growing in them, one looks like potatoes. I would be interested in growing things in them, so how many seeds do you put in per container, and how do you make the drainage holes, i know through trying to make holes in plant pots that you have to be very careful you don't split the plastic.

Would it be possible to get a more closer up view of your pyamid etc

8. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ALL,if your interested in the way I do things,and if you are using my plastic container system idea. What's happening my own potatoes top leaves are now starting to come up through my compost, which were bought from ASDAs which I put in on the 30-12-2006,so I've decided to make up a lot of extension sleeves to fit inside my 4 or 6 pint cut upside down milk containers,so that I can earth them up so to speak another 4 inches like you would do to get more potatoes. All I've done is to cut off the round part with the cap on from the base just below the handle, so when it's fitted inside another 4 or 6 pinter it rests on the inside flat part of the milk container so that the handle hole meets forming a seal,I can then add more compost as the potato plant grows. I've saved the cut off section to use for putting some seeds in, as it rests on the cap ok. My lettuce seedlings are also coming up ok sown in chinese take away flat plastic containers which were sown on the 23-2-2007, Cos and little gem,going by how many seedling I've got I should be able to grow at least 200 of each easily in just two pallet sections with two growing in each container like I did last year. My community project is going well now we are up and running,this year we hope to make some headlines as a group of people who are interested in growing things like hearbs and other things,which the local community can help them selves to when the lerning centre is open if they want fresh herbs at any time, if they have not got a garden for example. Plus we have a creche for people who are learning things so we are going to get their children to grow things too,and then put them in to our containers outside in the back yard area to grow on,designed for all ages. Which are fixed to the railings going around the yard to save using the play or seating area we intend to use in the summer. The local lady vicar is also going to have the same idea going around the back of the church so the people who use her church and the hall can grow things too. Like Age Concern. I will try to get some other people to talk about our project to you on this forum as it would be nice to hear what they had to say good or bad,like some people already do on here.
    May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John.J.R.P.

9. Essexgardens

Essexgardens Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    John; the recycling looks great but that's a pretty radical idea on your website about crime reduction!

10. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Essexgardens,thank you for showing your interest in my ideas,I know something has got to be done to cut down crime, I've been told no one will likes my idea,that's why I know it will work to help solve our prison overcrowding problem if used in the future as a deterrent.
    May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John. J.R.P.

[ 19. March 2007, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: J.R.P. ]

11. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ALL,I've just finished putting my last potatoes in with a bit of growth on them into my 4 pinters and 2 litre bottles,and I've just emptied out 80 small potatoes from my 5th pallet section on the left hand side of my plot,sown on the 8-2-2006 YES, 8-2-2006,a bit small and they have started to put out roots too but they are ok.
    This makes my total of containers with potatoes in 450,that should keep us going until my family give me some more potatoes they were going to throw away,bought from ASDAs. If you look at my plot photos you will see 5 pallets sections on the left side,and 3 front middle ones,these are my A-B-C sections with my D section one behind my A section from left to right,my E-F sections have strawberries growing in them on their bottom section.My newly made extension sleeves are working great with the top leaves now coming through in my 4 pinters already, sown on the 30-12-2006. I can't wait to see what crop I will get.
    May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John. J.R.P.

[ 19. March 2007, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: J.R.P. ]

12. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ALL,another update,I've just finished putting 150 Little Gem lettuce seedlings into my (J) section pallet, and about 500 mixed carrot seedlings too,I've also put 190 Cos lettuce seedlings into my (O) section pallet, plus another 100 carrot seedings too. Today I've undone a bit my upright container caps, so they drip feed the ones bellow at my Community learning centre project, which is closed to my other helpers because of a Easter break.
    With this in mind I hope you and yours all have a happy Easter. John. J.R.P.

13. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ALL,please join me in my latest experiment to see if you do get more potatoes if you keep earthing up your potato plant stems and leaves.
    Simply done by using a container,for example a flower pot will do,simply do what you would normally do,but when the green leaves start to come through your compost add another bigger flower pot on top with the bottom cut out to fit inside the rim of the lower one to form a sleeve extension,earthing up each time and adding a sleeve again until you decide to stop or the plant stops growing any higher.
    The reason I'm asking you to join me is I'm already doing it my way with 4 pint waste milk containers for the first time this year, and it's looking ok, I just simply cut off the lower cap part at the widest part and slide it down inside another, and earth up with my compost.
    If I do get more potatoes doing it this way I can see a lot of people with not a lot of space growing potatoes this way in the future,done by simply adding a extension sleeve system like I've done to my containers on my allotment plot. It's just another outside the box idea of mine I would like to share with you, which you might find of interest to try out to see what your end result will be on a small or large scale,please let me know how you get on. May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John. J.R.P.

14. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    John will it not become unstable the higher you go I can see the wind constantly blowing it over, its always a problem with tall pots.

15. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Walnut,sorry for not replying sooner,and thank you for showing your interest in the way I grow things. I was working on the flower pot or bucket or dust bin look if you don't do it the way I grow my Potatoes in 6 or 4 pinters. Thinking you would have broken up stuff in the bottom for drainage which would add weight to them to help stop them being blown over,and the higher you went each time putting in your compost to cover the green leaves would also add weight when the plant was watered too. The time I'm looking forward to is when I think it's time for me to see what I've grown taking out each sleeve section at a time to see just how high up the Potatoes are compared to the normal way I've been doing it. I'm sure I will let every one know one way or another.
    May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John. J.R.P. :D

[ 03. May 2007, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: J.R.P. ]