New, safer, formulation of Roundup / Glyphosate

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kristen, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I posted this in another thread, but I though it might be worth repeating it for discussion in a separate thread.

Glyphosate itself has low toxicity, the toxicity (particularly to aquatic life) in Glyphosate-based weed-killers comes from the Adjuvants which are added (which includes surfactants [e.g. detergents] that help the stuff stick to the leaves, and other chemicals to break down the cell walls so that the Glyphosate gets into the plant)

Wikipedia Glyphosate "Glyphosate toxicity
    Glyphosate has a United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Toxicity Class of III (on a I to IV scale, where IV is least dangerous [III=slightly toxic]) for oral and inhalation exposure"

Roundup previously included the surfactant POEA (polyethoxylated tallow amine), which has been found to be highly toxic to animals and to humans. My understanding is that this is still used in generic Glyphosate products.

The latest formulations of Roundup [NOTE: Roundup Pro Bio, which has recently replaced Roundup Pro Biactive - that's bound to confuse folk!!] (i.e. as produced by Monsanto, rather than any generic brand Glyphosate) include adjuvants that themselves are almost non-toxic. I think I'm right in saying that the latest Roundup products have no Hazard symbol on the label as a consequence. I've switched to using only Monsanto brand Roundup Pro Bio (the commercial grade product, don't know that the Amateur product has caught up as yet) because I figure that if the product is almost non-toxic to fish and animals then it will be to me, the family and pets too!

I think the instructions for the new product warn only against pouring concentrate Roundup into pools where fish/aquatic life is, and that spraying near water courses (and I think even weeds in the water) is fine.

Monsanto was down earlier and I found this link: http://www.nomixenviro.co.uk/index....:roundup-probio&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18

Monsanto site re: Roundup Pro Bio http://www.monsanto-ag.co.uk/content.output/357/357/Roundup/Amenity/Roundup ProBio.mspx

• Informative Informative x 3
    • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,087
      Thanks for the heads up :blue thumb:

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,259
      Thanks Kristen my friend:)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667

Only applies to anyone who wants to use Herbicides of course. Conspiracy theories that Monsanto "bought" the no-Hazard-symbol certification are on the airwaves ...