1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New to forum - new to gardening

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by K78green, Jul 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. K78green

K78green Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    For my sins I decided to buy a small house with a long narrow garden (almost 10 metres wide, about 90 meters long - and mostly on a slight incline - yes I am glutton for punishment.

I’d like to creat a nice ‘wild’ garden with different areas to enjoy - leaving the flat part at the bottom for the kids to play football. I’ll come back to that.

We’ve had some work done recently and contractors used a digger to remove a lot of soil. They tipped the soil down the existing bank (covering up steps down to the garden - the steps were going in 3 months anyway but I had to dig them back out to access the garden this summer).

I spent a few hours on the job yesterday (from top to bottom), moving the soil, rubble and some clay from one step, down to the next until I was left mound of soil and rubble at the bottom). The soil was mostly wet to start, but due to temperatures yesterday it soon got dry and little dusty. I pursued the step off and shovelled the mound to either side to make a walkway.

Now for my point, on returning to the house today (temporarily not living there), as the soil and rubble dug out by the builders has dried in the heat, I noticed at least half a dozen or so small pieces of what I think are asbestos cement sheet.

I’m guessing the previous owner buried it while doing some work. The house is 90 years old - and the previous owner was in it 40 years.

Any advice?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
      Ratings:
      +2,381
      Welcome to the forum.
      You'll probably need a licensed contractor to remove asbestos.
      It might be worth contacting your local council for advise.
      Good luck :SUNsmile:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
        +611
        Hi if it is asbestos you cannot remove it you have to get in touch as JR mentioned a licensed contractor to confirm its asbestos and they will remove it

Ihad some asbestos which was dumped at the back of the garden i think it i was from next door but when i asked the council to remove it they told me to put it in the bags they provide put it on one side and in a few weeks they collect it at that time 8 years ago it was £70 so instead i payed a bit extra and had it removed
        DONT BREAK IT

• Informative Informative x 2
        • Giri

Giri Gardener

Architectural Blacksmith (in recovery).
          Ratings:
          +653
          ..... and keep it wet. Good luck.

• K78green

K78green Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +1
          Thanks all - I was advised similar to @Janet mahay . I preferred for someone to come and do it - can I find someone!!!! As it is such a small job, the local asbestos companies advise to double bag it and they will collect it.

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
          +611
          Saw 2 companies that do.small jobs but most firms will do small.jobs but dont do it your self they should come and bag it if they don't dont bother with them
          Ad·https://www.ces-asbestos.com/small-asbestos/removal
          Asbestos Removal & Transfer | Any Job, Big Or Small

Removal & Disposal of Asbestos Containing Materials, Call or Enquire Online. Experienced Accredited Asbestos Contractors. Based Locally...

Asbestos Removal
          Asbestos Disposal
          Contact Us Today
          Asbestos Surveys
          About CES Asbestos

Ad·https://www.jsremovals.co.uk/
          Cheapest Asbestos Removal | Same & Next Day Service

We Remove Asbestos Garage Roof's, Pipes, Outbuildings, Flus & Much More. Asbestos...