1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

new to gardening

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Doofy, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Doofy

Doofy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,
    I am new to all this, hope someone can help me out. My garden borders get waterlogged every time it rains heavy. I would like to plant some shrubs, but don't know which would grow in these conditions, also, could anyone tell me, which are the best type of ground covering plants to go in a small rockery, the soil where I live is full of clay and does not drain very well. If you can help, I would be most grateful. Thanks.
    Doofy

2. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If possible try to improve your drainage by digging in a heap of sharp sand, Improve soil structure by digging in well rotted manure as well. If you can improve the soil conditions you will have a much bigger range of plants to choose from. There are few shrubs that will tolerate waterlogged clay.

Most plants that are traditionally grown in a rockery are alpines. The rockery should mimic the conditions that they would find up in the mountains. Poor soil, well drained, sunny. Sorry to be the voice of doom but unless you can improve drainage it doesnt look good. On the positive side if you can improve the soil and drainage a bit then clay can be a good thing as it helps to hold water in times of drought.

Id advise a walk around your area to see what others are managing to grow. Ive found that there is usually an expert in the area that is happy to pass on their expertise and you will usually find them in their garden so its easy to engage in conversation.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    A couple of sprawly low growing plants for your rockery which work in my clay soil - veronica georgia blue, campanula (the mound or trailing varieties) - thyme Lorna doone, and take a look at the winter flowering ericas.

4. Ian

Ian Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thereââ?¬â?¢s really NOTHING you can do to improve drainage on heavy soils (except install land drains, or plant everything in raised beds). Instead, plant things that tolerate wet ground. See my reply to Helly http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000184 :- all the shrubs recommended there will do well on wet soils (inc the roses & clematis), and all the small low-growing plants will do well on rockeries (eg viola, campanula, saxifrage, Convolvulus sabatius, small geraniums such as G.orientalibeticum & G.subcaulescens etc.). Note that rockery plants (ââ?¬Å?alpinesââ?¬Â) almost always require good drainage & light sandy soils, easy enough if you raise the rockery a bit and fill with 50/50 mix John Innes No.3 plus sand.

Ian.