New to greenhouse growing

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Kennyhicks, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Kennyhicks

Kennyhicks Gardener

Management
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi i am tsking the plung and getting a green house. I dont want to overcomplicate the first year ive got tomatoes already growing. What elses could i grow is it too late to grow thrm from seed?

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,371
    Most veg can still be sown now . I don't grow much veg but I've got Tomatoes - Cumcumbers - Melons ( all 3 technically fruit ) can still be sown . Do you just want ideas for veg for the Greenhouse ? I'll be sowing Lettuces - carrots - swede maybe beetroot and basil tomorrow .

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Typical Amateur Greenhouse crops in UK would be Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Peppers. Melons are a bit more effort, and I think on the late side to sow now ... they take a long time to get to the point of actually making fruit, and then need time to fatten up and ripen.

Pretty much everything else I would grow outside ... unless you have a big greenhouse, in which case Sweetcorn is a good crop and short-season so sowing now would get you an earlier, and more "sure", crop than outside. Could also grow Dwarf French Beans for a crop earlier than the Climbing Beans will give you outdoors, and some infill like Lettuce - but they don't like too much heat, so not worth growing mid Summer under glass.

How big is the greenhouse?

4. Kennyhicks

Kennyhicks Gardener

Management
    Ratings:
    +23
    Veg too would be great thanks. Ive got tomatoes growing. Ordered my cucumber plants and peppers too. Already got salad and some veg in my beds. And fine beans runner beans and courgettes in my mini green house on the grow