1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New to looking after roses - climbing iceberg rose question

Discussion in 'Roses' started by torlaw, Jun 8, 2021.

1. torlaw

torlaw Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

I've just joined this forum after looking for some advice on looking after the many roses in the garden of our new house that we moved in to in April.

The previous owners obviously had a keen interest in roses as I've discovered many rose plants dotted in both the front and back gardens but it's a climbing rose that I'm most in need of help with. From research i think the rose is an iceberg variety and it looks like it was starting to be trained to go over the front door.

It has grown well this Spring but there is only one bud at the very top of the plant at the moment. There are plenty of offshoots that look like they were meant to have a bud but nothing is coming of them.

I've ordered some rose feed which is arriving today but apart from that i've read mixed advice about cutting down new growth. I'd really like to get the plant in to a better and neater state to try and train it over the door as originally intended.

Please see attached photos of plant (our house name plate is blocked out) - one is from when it was blooming last October and the other is of the whole plant at the moment.

Many thanks for any help you can give me :)

IMG_2054.jpg IMG_2053.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,804
      Good morning @torlaw my friend and welcome to Gardeners Corner if its Iceberg its a lovely Rose the first thing that springs to mind does it get enough sunlight it needs 6 hours of sunlight each day.It looks to be a very dark position where it is:smile:

I can see in where there is a bloom showing there is a spent flower where a bloom has been you need to redirect its energy from just growing to producing blooms,do you know the age of it and has it yet been pruned If it were me I would bend the top over as horizontally towards the top of the door all the time its growing vertically it is directing all its energy in order to just get taller :smile:

What soil is it in my friend Roses grown in sandy soil or soil without enough nutrients may produce green foliage, but won’t have enough energy to produce blooms. Too much nitrogen in the soil also can cause excessive green growth, but little or no flowers. The ideal nitrogen-phosphorous-potassium ratio for roses is 1-2-1. A monthly application of a high phosphorous fertilizer, such as 9-14-9, encourages blooming and provides adequate nutrients for your plant. Look for a fertilizer with those proportions and apply it to your rose as directed on the package label following the time periods and doses recommended by the manufacturer. Applications three to four times during the growing season are typical, beginning in the spring, when your plant is actively growing. Water your plant well the day before applying fertilizer, and again the day after fertilizing to prevent fertilizer burn:smile:

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,610
        Welcome to the forum!

• Like Like x 2
        • torlaw

torlaw Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +4
          Thanks so much @wiseowl! That's really useful. I'm afraid I don't know too much about the age of the plant and soil type but I can tell that it's been cared for previously and has had other attempts at training it over the doorway.
          I think what I will do is lay some fertiliser on the soil and begin to train the stems to be more horizontal and accept that I might not get the desired results this season. Now I'm armed with more knowledge hopefully I will be able to grow something beautiful in future years.

Thanks again for your advice!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,804
            Good morning @torlaw my friend you are most welcome and if there are any other questions you have just ask:smile: