New to rose growing need advice please

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Delphinium, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Delphinium

Delphinium Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hi.I am keen gardener and quite lucky as far as plants go but I am no expert on Roses.i have planted this year 4 rambling/climbing Rose plants to train up Wooden Arches.3 were container grown and one which was in a container but was obviously a bare root just potted.So far they have done well except the Bare root which was slow to start and is very leggy.This plant also had Powdery Mildew and has struggled despite my care and attention.Feeding,watering etc.Here are the problems I need help with and any advice would be most helpful.
    When to spray for powdery Mildew and causes?
    Should I train the branches by entwine them through the trellis work or leave to own devices ?
    When should I prune and how?
    What do suckers look like(I will try to include image)
    Aphids and black fly what are the best insecticides(Bee Friendly
    Any advice would be great.
    The images are of what I think maybe Suckers.top and bottom view.
    2 images of bare root rose.
    1 image powdery Mildew.

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,275
    Good evening @Delphinium my friend:smile:

1.You train your Roses by tying your rose canes in the direction and position you want them to grow,but if you allow them to grow on the inside of your arch it could be a problem walking though it.

2.Rose powdery mildew is a disease of roses caused by the fungus Podosphaera pannosa. The conspicuous white growth can affect all aerial parts of the plant, producing microscopic spores that spread the disease. High humidity is favourable for infection, and plants growing in areas where air movement is poor or the soil is dry can be severely affected.I respectfully that you carefully remove the seriously infected canes by gently cutting them off with some clean and sharp Secateurs.

3..Suckers come only from the rootstock on which the garden rose is budded and so will only come from below the bud union.

4..I personally don't spray my Roses with with any chemicals,just a personal choice

Here are some the Links which hopefully will help you:smile:

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/pruning-of-the-rose-family-reference-sheet.10915/

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/blackspot.49794/