1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New turf turning brown/black

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Clairebax, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Clairebax

Clairebax Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    I'm new to this forum and to gardening altogether so really hoping you can give me some help and advice and apologies in advance if I'm not giving enough or the right information.
    At the start of June, we had a hedge taken away and a fence put in around the perimeter of our garden. Unfortunately, the digger that was used destroyed our grass and so we had no choice but to lift what was left and replace with new turf.
    Being complete gardening novices, we followed the instructions from the turf company and various online resources religiously. We spent days preparing the soil with a rotavator, rolled it, put down top soil and laid the turf as soon as it arrived. We spent a bit more on the turf than we had to - we bought "elite" turf - and we watered it every day throughout the summer using a sprinkler, even putting down containers to make sure we were hitting the minimum amount of moisture each day. We used a grass fertiliser once after about a month.
    Three months on and the turf looks great if we don't cut it. If we leave it to grow to about 4 or 5 inches, it looks really well - a lovely dark green colour and what looks like really healthy grass. Unfortunately, our garden then also looks like a field!
    When we mow it, it looks terrible. It's mainly brown or black but doesn't seem to be dry - in fact, it's almost boggy in places. It is also a nightmare to mow. It clogs up the mower and it takes three times as long to mow as our old lawn. We aren't even able to get it very short because it seems to be in such bad condition. As I said, if we leave it to grown for a few weeks, it will look great again (but far too long).
    I've attached some photographs (please ignore the leaves in the last photo - didn't have time to clear them this morning - they're not normally there!). If anyone can give us any advice on what we should/should not do I'd be really grateful.
    If you need any other information, please let me know.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

Not a lawn bloke myself, but someone will be along soon :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,474
      Hmmmmmmm.......... Like Zigs, I am no lawn guy, but there are a couple of things that stand out to me from your description straight away; the word 'boggy' is concerning, for as much as grass will need water to sustain life, it also needs air so it doesn't drown. If its holding too much water, or not draining quickly enough, this could be your problem (or a significant part thereof); when the grass is longer, it will be able to take up more water and then in turn with the larger leaf area it is going to be able to 'sweat' that water away.

Also bear in mind that wet or damp grass by its very nature is going to be a nightmare to cut, so the fact you are struggling to cut it could also point to there being too much water sitting.

The other thing that stands out to me is the lawn fertiliser - not saying that you have, but if that is overused (too high a dosage rate) it will turn a lawn black in days, and it will take a while to recover.

If it were my lawn, I would be inclined to start off by aerating it to make sure that it was draining sufficiently, and then I would also be inclined to try a smattering of compost over the top (not too thick) in the hope that the organic matter improves drainage and airflow, and I would also lay off mowing until next year now.

Also worth looking at is your lawnmower. I battled with my last lawnmower, sharpening the blades a couple of times gave momentary relief, but it was never particularly 'easy' to cut the grass. Long story short, I bought a Bosch Rotak and that is when I discovered that a lot of the problems with my grass were acutually being caused by my lawnmower - the old one was either hauling/tearing at the grass, or it was scalping it completely - from the very first cut with the new mower things looked ten times better

• Like Like x 1
      • Clairebax

Clairebax Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +2
        Thanks so much for the advice. My husband has decided it's definitely the lawn mower and is using it as an excuse to say we need a new one!
        The fertiliser was Evergreen stuff that attached to the hose and sprayed. I used about half which was right for the amount of grass we have but the black does sound like it may have been caused by that. I take it it will just revive in it's own time if that's the case?
        We certainly didn't have any problems with the grass being too wet before so can't understand why we're having so many problems now but your explanation would certainly make sense.
        Really appreciate you taking the time to reply.
        Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +49,474
          You are welcome :)

As I say, I am no expert, so you may very well get further advice from other members who know more than I do - I can only base things on my own experience.

The Evergreen is the stuff I was thinking of - it has a selective weed killer in it that is supposed to kill all the weeds and not the grass, but it has been known to cause black patches, usually when its too concentrated. If it is that, it should bounce back on its own - grass is as tough as old boots really.

Taking another look at some of your closer pics, it does look as though your lawnmower is part of the problem (you can see where the grass has been flattened and torn at)

A new lawnmower would be ideal, but you may be able to repair the one you have depending on what make etc - new blades are generally easy to fit, and cost £10-£20, that might be all it needs. If you do decide to go for a new one, I can highly recommend the Bosch (considerably better than Flymo in my opinion).

One last thing, once you have let it grow out a bit and you start cutting again, set your mower to its highest setting and give the grass a light going over at first. Three or four days later, lower it one stage and go over it again, gradually dropping it down to your desired height with a few days break in between.

• Useful Useful x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,541
            Welcome to GC Claire. It looks like water logging to me and I would never put fertiliser down on a first year lawn, it needs to establish roots first and the fertiliser is to strong while it is still so young. New grass will find enough nutrients in the soil to see it through it's first year.

What type of soil was underneath the topsoil you laid, clay, sandy etc.? If your soil was clay it's usually advisable to dig in some grit or sand and then lay sand before turfing. If the soil is sandy then it's best to dig in compost or topsoil and finishing with a layer of topsoil.

• Like Like x 1
            • Useful Useful x 1