1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

New Years Resolutions.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Jazmine, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +694
    Well, it's that time of year again. Are you going to make any new years resolutions or do you just give up on them after a couple of weeks?

I'll start with some of mine.

To go back to my slimming club and swimming [hospital sort of got in the way]
    To continue learning [Power of writing class is already booked :thumb:]
    To see more of my sister who lives near London.
    To go on more outings with my dear dad :)
    To spend more "me" time without feeling guilty
    To put into practise all I have learned in my "starting over" class

I'll no doubt think of some more!

2. sparky

sparky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not making any, already perfect.:wink: :lollol:

3. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    To spend more "me" time without feeling guilty sounds a good one.

Speak my mind and risk the out come ( not sure about that one lol)

Spend much more time in the garden.

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    jazmine great thread you know what ive not even thought about new year resolutions , i like the me time lol, will have a think about this when new year approaches and im spending time with my brother and sister in law this new year, havnt been out together for years.

5. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Ratings:
    +694
    Me time seems a popular one!
    Lyn, love the speak your mind one :hehe: Could get you into lots of trouble!

6. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I never make "New Year's Resolutions."

I consider it a way of ceasing to procrastinate over things you should already be doing or not doing.
    But I do make plans for the following year in conjunction with my wife, usually in the autumn.

I actually prepare a financial "budget" in the first half of each year for the following year on Excel spreadsheets (I had to do it at work, so it comes easy). I also "review" it at the end of each year so I can realistically prepare for the next one.
    The beauty of it all, is that should I start going "over budget" I can just change the naffin' budget! Something I couldn't do at work, but I don't really do that.
    Though I do build in a "contingency fund," this is to allow for unplanned and unforseen expenditure, usually heralded by my wife starting a conversation beginning; "What I thought was......" Some of her suggestions will be way over the amount of the contingency so I will present her with the options.
    A glance at my budget for 2010 would suggest I've "resolved" to spend a fair bit more money next year than this. Well, quite a bit is already going on another jukebox for me and a "Stressless" recliner for my wife. You could also say that I've "resolved" to keep telling myself "you can't take it with you" but I'm afraid I'll never get out of the habit of saving.

7. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Jazmine - the 'me time' one is a good one! I think that as mothers, we often tend to put ourselves last - in terms of time and physical treats as well. How many times as a child do we remember going shopping with Mum to get her a new pair of shoes, or a new dress, and we left the store with nothing for her, but loads for the kids? I remember those days well.......and they seem to be repeating themselves!
    So, yes to the 'time for me' and if it involves a little retail therapy for me as well.....then hey - I'll enjoy it :)

One definite change will be more family outings - we seem to run this kid to this, this one to that etc., but don't organise alot of family outings to sporting events and the like - so that will improve :) Went to an ice hockey game the other night - loads of fun :)

A happy new year to all of you :)

8. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Ratings:
    +694
    Agreed Natalie and before long they are flying the nest. My nest will be empty in a few months [both will have left] but they both know they ALWAYS have a home here. :)
    The saying goes "A mother holds her childrens hands for a short while but their hearts forever"

9. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411

Glad you said what you did, as in our experience, they sometimes come home again after they've flown the nest. One of ours came home three times due to unforseen circumstances (including a divorce) before they finally made it on their own. But they always knew they'd be welcomed.

10. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Lyn this is the most important one, and probably the one to be the most sure about.

I intend to do the same with one proviso............to be sure of my mind before doing so. and once I am, to do so without apology.

11. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Oh dear, this time of year again....

I have the usual list of resolutions...
    Cut down how much I smoke, eat and drink
    Spend more time at the gym
    Spend less time on the internet (particularly online games, facebook and reading news website comment pages)

Hmmm....

12. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Ratings:
    +694
    Good ones! Nathan, you still have to enjoy yourself so it's getting the balance right. OH wants to lose weight and keep up his gym sessions too.

If you speak your mind [politely of course!] then that is fine and if the other person gets annoyed then they have a problem with it, not you!

I have a new one here..to sort out our dining room. At the moment it is hubbys office, my craft room and a dumping ground. Now our youngest has flown the nest [ I think :D] it's time to utilise his room as an office keeping his bed there of course.

13. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    To make resolutions successful :-

Make them realistic.
    Make them achievable.
    Make them measurable
    stick to them!

I resolve to stay a non smoker, for at least another year, and a day

Happy New Years, all!

14. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,884
    To be ME at all times and never change ... to continue to enjoy the music I love and dance when I feel free to on my own when I want to ... to enjoy the garden I made in my retirement years and enjoy it whilst I sit and read amidst the wonders I created from nothing, to enjoy my creative hobbies and 'work' and to enjoy my life with my husband and cats and friends who make my life very special ......

.... but I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds in my advancing years .... :hehe: