1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie first post

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by DaiWig, Sep 26, 2018.

1. DaiWig

DaiWig Gardener

Ratings:
    +29
    C06A8806-88F1-49B3-983E-98FB37D3BDEF.jpeg 8A9DFDD9-BB8F-4C97-B0A4-1F44BCC9D651.jpeg Hi all
    Even though Ive grown veg on and off for the last 30 years, Ive never had a polytunnel. After buying one about 4 years it just sat there in the shed this year Ive decided to do something about it!!. Its my pre-retirement project amongst other things but came across this site to pick the brains of your subscribers. The garden is about 400 m2 on a slope more like an allotment. My plan is to get rid of as much grass as I can (thinking about bad backs in the future!) to leave more leisure time. The garden is roughly on 7 terrace levels which needs to come down to 3. Top will be summerhouse and decking overlooking the valley (next year), middle bit will be grass for the time being and bottom level will be polytunnel and decking (only decided that bit in July to avoid more grass!). Anyway, I will be seeking advice as we go along. Getting close to adding the cover on the 6 x 3 m tunnel and have read a few nightmares about zip doors so have added frames already to build separate door and window at the rear of the tunnel. Not a clue what to grow in it as yet!! Need to get the infrastructure finished first as there’s no rush. So any advice for filling the raised beds gratefully received.

Cheers C06A8806-88F1-49B3-983E-98FB37D3BDEF.jpeg 8A9DFDD9-BB8F-4C97-B0A4-1F44BCC9D651.jpeg 96FC7670-5C42-4CCB-AFB5-88ECA1355B78.jpeg 48354D7C-5D62-46C9-86DF-69A8CB464167.jpeg 369FD678-CC9B-48C9-93CE-AA0E417B0E90.jpeg 4C88D2A1-C588-4AF0-9E5A-905CBA10B049.jpeg AD2E523F-3C39-44FB-A2E3-B8FECBD9EA62.jpeg
    DaiWig

• Like Like x 3
    • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +9,233
      Welcome, and Wow!

I'm guessing from your name, and the lovely hills in the background, that you are in God's own country - aka Wales?! It's helpful to know your location when the experts come along to give you planting advice.

I'm just going a tad green with envy at the polytunnel!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • DaiWig

DaiWig Gardener

Ratings:
        +29
        Thanks Sian and yes, West Wales. Good guess. Looking forward to learning a lot from the experts in here. Hopefully cover going on this afternoon - dreading it to be honest but there we go, we’ll see and I’ll let you know how it goes. I take it with your name theres a welsh connection too?

• Like Like x 2
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +49,606
          @DaiWig - Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

I have a feeling that we will be learning from you, as much as you will be learning from others! Your polytunnel is looking fantastic, as is your decking area too. I already have a couple of questions...

- What specifications is the wood of the beds within your tunnel (type, size etc)

- When are you coming to sort my garden out? :biggrin:

Seriously though, you should be proud of your achievements so far and I hope that getting the cover on is not as traumatic as you are anticipating.

GC Welcome.png

• Agree Agree x 1
          • DaiWig

DaiWig Gardener

Ratings:
            +29
            Thank you Fat Controller.

The beds are made from treated 9 x 2 inch x 4.8m planks so each of the large beds are about 2.4m long and 1.1 m wide and 18 inches high. The tunnel is 6m long and 3m wide but wanted enough space to move about easily. Theres approximately 4 tonnes of riddled soil (god that was boring!) from the middle banking hence saving a small fortune! Ill wait til the sun comes up before putting the cover on hopefully later on today. And thank you for the welcome.

• DaiWig

DaiWig Gardener

Ratings:
            +29
            Oh, forgot to say that each bed is lined with industrial DPM to protect the wood and stop any leeching into the soil - porous membrane in tunnel for drainage as well covering the whole tunnel.

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,870
            Good morning @DaiWig welcome to GC my friend what an achievement one to be proud of:smile:

• andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
            Ratings:
            +2,369
            The raised beds look great. I'm considering adding some raised beds to our polytunnel but need to see how we go this winter with bringing the tender plants inside, which has depressingly already started !

'Proper' doors is a good idea. How are you securing the cover ? trenching or base plates ?

• Like Like x 1
            • DaiWig

DaiWig Gardener

Ratings:
              +29
              Hi Andrews
              Thank you. Mmmm cover on just now and skirt is only 4 inches long!!! I may have to sandwich the cover between 9 x 2 x 4.8m boards. Still thinking about it as I dont have many other options i.e. build a frame round the outside of the tunnel and add ‘noggins on the inside and screw together tightly. Any suggestions gratefully received!

• DaiWig

DaiWig Gardener

Ratings:
              +29
              89918CA5-732E-4F82-9729-449E00172441.jpeg AA43D900-C516-40E7-A880-1EB79D82FF7F.jpeg Well, an interesting activity putting the cover on - see previous response. Still not sure the best way forward but progress being made. Started the retaining barrier (not really just back fill) down the path to the polytunnel and gravel inside. I am on a mission as you can probably guess - digger coming in 3 weeks to start the top bit so on a timetable to complete. Got really frustrated with the cover so will go for polythene when this one either blows off or degrades, or both, then I can bury it to shale gas levels! Until then, Ill workaround quick fixes. Only managed to rip slightly one corner with all the pulling and pushing and coaxing an its obvious that the polytunnel cover is about 3 inches too small on the length. Hey ho, thats life - at least the frame ain’t going anywhere. As the wind is non existent for the next few days, I’ll sleep on the best way forward unless a fellow member has gone down the route of securing the cover in another way. Help! Anyway todays pics below in no particular order. Time for wine!

Attached Files:

• andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
              Ratings:
              +2,369
              Ahhhh. Thought it was a polythene cover. But thinking about it, you did mention a zip so I should've realised that it wasn't

Ive no experience of this type of cover so don't know how strong they are although I will be putting one on my polytunnel inside the polytunnel this weekend

• Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +9,233
              Yes, married to a proud Welshman ("valley boy, see"). I'm a bit more complicated :whistle: - my mum's from the Rhondda, and there was a Welsh grandmother on my father's side. So I've been brought up to think I'm Welsh, 5/8 by blood, but born in England, as that's where my parents worked at the time. Raised 10 miles on the wrong side of the border, but uni in Wales, and a Welsh (ail-iaith) speaker....

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,486
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,600
            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +100,836
              Hi Dai Wig, welcome to Gardeners Corner:thumbsup::smile: I think you will find that a much respected member, SteveR, will be a man after your own heart:love30::thumbsup:. He is an extremely experienced and knowledgeable Polytunnel owner and veg grower and you should both have a lot to talk about.:coffee:

• Agree Agree x 1