1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie gardener with (another) question!!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Mrs C, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Mrs C

Mrs C Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    20160721_175655.jpg Help what do I do with empty borders?!
    I have loads in the new garden which have grass clods and Moss growing. Posted the other day for weeding advice. Am I doing this right?! I have pulled up the grass then turned over to try bury the mossy bits. But am left with bits I assume will regrow! I won't very doing anything with it till spring (I don't think! Was thinking bedding plants in may). Is there anything I should be doing to stop weeds coming back? Thanks!

2. Mrs C

Mrs C Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
  3. kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,858
    If you are planning on using the borders for bedding plants, I would get all the moss, weeds and stones out first and then turn over and break up the soil. If you are not planning on using the beds until next May, you will get some weeds.

I usually put bulbs, pansies etc., in my borders late autumn for a bit of Spring colour. When they die back, I put my summer bedding plants in. As plants fill up the borders they also reduce the number of weeds you get.

• Like Like x 1
    • Mrs C

Mrs C Gardener

Ratings:
      +39
      Thank you. Silly question but how do I know whether it's a bulb coming up or a weed?! I'll probably pull them up by accident! Will they stay dormant till next year?!

• kazzawazza

Ratings:
      +1,858
      • Like Like x 1
      • Mrs C

Mrs C Gardener

Ratings:
        +39
        Thank you :-)
        So, I've already pulled up grass, turned over, I'll continue to pull new weeds then turn and plant bulbs sept/oct (daffs/tulips) which will come up March/April then die back . I then plant bedding (assume if I did up any bulbs I just replant)
        Hope that sounds right!!
        Thanks

• kazzawazza

Ratings:
        +1,858
        :hapfeet:
        Yes, if you dig any bulbs up by mistake, just replant them again.

Your plans sound great. Happy gardening !

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,153
        I'd make that border much wider and stick in loads of shrubs and perennials as well as bulbs. With careful planning they will compliment the nice stone wall.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Agree with JWK. I think the border you have made is fine except I'd make it at least 3 times wider...do I hear a groan about the hard work?! Again personally I prefer having borders which aren't very straight, preferring the likes of a half moon shape as an example. To me it makes a garden look more natural and less severe but that's just my preference and only a suggestion which can be discarded with gay abandon:). With such a narrow border it restricts what you can grow and plants would be likely to hang over onto the grass and make mowing difficult. While I don't encourage weed killer use that much, with nothing in the border atm it would be an ideal time to weed kill any weeds that appear without the fear of spraying plants by mistake. Alternatively you could put down black polythene weighted down with stones which would keep the weeds at bay until you were ready to plant bulbs for next Spring. Great wall as a super backdrop to what you plan to plant.

• Like Like x 1
          • Mrs C

Mrs C Gardener

Ratings:
            +39
            Oh no I don't know what to do now! I've too many borders already!! How do you do away with them?!

• kazzawazza

Ratings:
            +1,858
            Soil and grass seed or turf.

• Like Like x 1
            • Mrs C

Mrs C Gardener

Ratings:
              +39
              Thank you! May fill some of the smaller ones in so I can concentrate on the others :-)

• Like Like x 1