1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie propagation

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Dave1967, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Dave1967

Dave1967 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,

First post so be gentle with me!

Just really started taking an interest in my garden. So thought I would have a go at propagating some softwood cuttings.

I got some little propagators from B&Q (seed trays with plastic lids with air vents on). So took some Choisya, laurel, rose cuttings and another I have no idea of its name.

I have had these in my utility room. 90% of them seem to have taken. There are new shoots, they all look happy.

I removed the lid from one tray, kept misting the cutting, they all promptly wilted and died :-(

At what point do I remove the lids, what did I do wrong?

As I say I am very new to this. I watch youtube clips but none seem to say what to do after the cuttings take

Thanks for any advice

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,630
    First of all I would say you need to look at what you are trying to root.
    Some grow better from what is known as semi ripe, when the wood is just hardening, usually around late July August time.

My guess would be your cuttings had probably not rooted, in very moist conditions you can get new growth showing without roots having formed.

Your doing it right so try again in a few weeks time .

But make sure roots have formed before starting to lower the humidity.

• Like Like x 2
    • misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,782
      I've propagated rose and choisya cuttings before. The trick to most cuttings is to bury them as deep as possible.

New leaves in the same year does not necessarily mean that the cutting has rooted or has developed sufficient roots to sustain it.

Rose cuttings, for example, can produce new leaves with no roots if the stem is wet enough, say, when placed into a glass of water or buried in damp compost.

The best thing to do then would be to leave the cuttings inside the propagator for a longer period. Afterwards, when the risk of harsh weather has passed, place the whole propagator outdoors in a cool place away from direct sunlight.

Leave it for a couple of days. Then go back to it and open the air vents in stages over, say, a week or so until the whole lid can be fully opened. This in effect is the hardening off process.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Dave1967

Dave1967 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +2
        Thank for the advice in replies.
        Sounds like I have been jumping the gun :-(
        I'll leave the other propagators alone for a few more weeks. Must say I have enjoyed experimenting.

• Like Like x 2
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,201
          Hi,

A more common method for Roses and Laurel is to put the cuttings straight into garden soil.
          How to take rose cuttings

They might take a bit longer to root, but they will not need to be moved around and repotted as you have to do with a propagator.

Placing cuttings into a propagator this time of year , its going to be a battle to keep them cool enough as once the sun gets on the cover the temperature can soar above 30c and which point they say plants stop growing until it becomes cooler.

• Like Like x 1