1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie to Gardening... Need Help with Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by thesasgeek, Mar 8, 2015.

1. thesasgeek

thesasgeek Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all,

Last year my family moved into a new build house which came with a lawn at the rear from turf.

The turf took well and the grass grows very well - apart from a patch that receives no direct sunlight and gets rather wet (poor drainage). I'm going to turn this patch into a boarder of some sorts and I'm sure I'll need help with easy maintenance plants that will cope in the shade.

The good news is that the vast majority of the lawn looks good (see photo) but on closer inspection its not very thick and I have to leave it reasonably long to keep its green colour.

I'd like to know what I should be doing throughout the year, I've received some advice about raking the dead stuff off at this time of year and not to cut it short.

However, I'd like to know when's best to feed and seed. At a previous house, I didn't do much with the lawn as it was a short term house, whereas this is going to be our house for the long term. I also had failed attempts at seeding so don't want to waste money again.

Can someone provide some tips on what they do throughout the year?

Attached Files:

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,564
    By leaving the grass longer it will become thinner. Grass like any other plant is pruned but by mowing and this encourages it to thicken up as the grass will create it's own new branches. The first couple of cuts of the season should be done on a high-ish mower setting but after that drop it down but not so far that you scalp the lawn.

It's very difficult to keep a lawn green all year round and it will mean continuous feeding to do that, which in turn will mean you have to cut it more often because it grows quicker. I feed my lawns once a year in April (although they could do with twice) when they have started to grow well and let them 'relax' for the rest of the year, even though I have a hungry sandy soil underneath. Don't feed during drought conditions as it will stress the grass.

Do you know which type of soil you have, clay, sandy etc.? It's a good idea to spike the lawn all over with a garden fork, pushing it down a good few inches and giving it a wiggle before feeding, as this will aerate the ground and if you have a clay soil you can take the opportunity to brush some sand into the holes which will help keep the soil open.

When I re-seed patches I sprinkle the seed first and then cover with a thin layer of compost, firm it down and water. It must be watered every day unless it rains of course. It is also best to stay off that area until it's established.

There is grass seed available for shaded areas unless you have your mind set on a border now. :)