1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie to veggie growing.............

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Smufter, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Smufter

Smufter Gardener

Sales
    Ratings:
    +77
    Looking for a little advice if I may?
    Just put together my first raised bed, with the hope of becoming a little more "self sufficient" from next year.
    Not planning anything extravagant, just maybe onions, tomatoes and runner/broad beans to give me a gentle introduction and to see how I get on initially.
    I have some soil and manure being delivered next week, and plan to fill the bed and give it a decent time to settle before next Spring.
    I'll start sowing some seeds next March/April indoors as I don't have a greenhouse.
    Should I line the base with some decent cardboard and maybe some grass cuttings before the "mix" goes in???
    I read conflicting reports regarding cardboard, but general consensus I think is it's a good thing, especially this far in advance of veg actually going in.
    And advice would be welcome.
    Size of the bed is 12" deep and it's about 7'6" x 3'6".
    Thanks
    Rob
    raised bed.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
      Ratings:
      +2,381
      If you've got manure coming I'd probably just use plenty of that mixed with a good top soil.
      I'd put 'brown' cardboard in layers between the grass cuttings into a seperate compost bin to rot down for later use.
      In the spring I'd then rake in a few handfuls of fish, blood, and bone prior to planting out.
      Onions, beans and tomatoes are a good choice.. Quite reliable
      :SUNsmile:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Smufter

Smufter Gardener

Sales
        Ratings:
        +77
        Thanks very much for the informative reply JR.
        Much appreciated

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,002
          I would recommend lining the inside with plastic before adding soil/compost. It will extend the life of the timber and stop the bed drying out.

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Smufter

Smufter Gardener

Sales
            Ratings:
            +77
            I'm thinking of adding a divider to the bed, as I understand that onions and runner beans don't make good bedfellows.
            I've purchased a couple of these to plant the tomatoes in, have the ideal sunny spot to locate them, and the simple design will incorporate well with the rest of the surrounding woodwork (sleeper retaining walls).
            growbag container.jpg

• JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
            Ratings:
            +2,381
            TBH Smufter i would plant just runner beans in a 7'6" bed. Spaced properly next May they will totally fill that space.
            For onions i would make up a seperate bed well away from the shade of tall bean plants.
            I'm taking it that those tomatoes are not in that planter for this year?!
            They need to be started in Spring for any real productive results.
            You could put some over winter onions in if you can't wait.
            Wilco's are selling Japenese autumn sow onions for £2 for a bag of 50...I'm putting mine in this coming week, and i had good results last year (harvested them in June) so the runners could go in after the onions are lifted (nice)
            The only other thing that I'll put out now, is Spring cabbage plants. Other than those I'd wait till the Spring to start veggies off indoors, or the green house.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
          • Smufter

Smufter Gardener

Sales
            Ratings:
            +77
            Tomatoes are not in the planters, they haven't arrived yet. That is just a stock photo from the website to show what I'd bought.
            I'm only planning to put three runner bean plants in, just down one of the longer sides of the raised bed utilising the other side for spring onions and some Spanish onions. I thought, (in my head), they'd be enough room?
            I'm not planning on starting anything until March/April when I will start sowing seeds indoors.
            Thanks for your advice by the way, it really is appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
            • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
              Ratings:
              +2,381
              Ok, i did wonder with the toms..
              I still think 3 runner bean plants will totally dominate that bed.
              My personal choice would be to fill it with japenese onions now, and look to lift them in June which will then allow your nicely reared runner beans to have all the space. I don't believe that you'll get good results with onions right under tall bean plants. Veg always does best on my plot when given plenty of sunny space.. But you are the gardener on your plot so you can try any method you choose!
              Others might say that I'm crazy and advise you to cram everything in.. Whatever you do i hope you get good results and you can post up pictures of the produce. See my picture of just ONE runner bean plant put in a half barrel by our kitchen door...
              ;)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2