1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Tee10, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Tee10

Tee10 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I am new to this forum and desperately hoping to get some advice. I seeded my lawn (small area) 3 weeks ago which was growing at a fast rate. Although it is continuing to grow well, an area that was particularly dense became so wet that the grass started to clump together. I tried agitating the area to provide some oxygen but unfortunately made the problem worse so have ended up pulling up the soggy grass and reseeding the areas. There are other areas of the lawn that is bare but slowly thickening up.

Could somebody please help this complete novice as I am beginning to lose hope in creating a lush lawn and somewhere for my toddler to play. I have a love hate relationship with my new project as i have no patience! I know.......these things take time.

I have attached a picture which was taken today.

Should I mow yet or wait another week?
    Will the bare areas thicken up or should I reseed
    (I have been reseeding areas here and there)
    In the areas that I completely messed up, should I have just left it to dry out? Have I made a mistake by pulling the grass up and reseeding?

Any advice would help. Much appreciation in advance.

Attached Files:

2. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    It looks a bit odd. If you are making a lawn to be well used you need the correct mix of seeds.
    I would use a Heavy Use mix. This will be strong and not mushy. It is usual to lay seeds on a bare, prepared soil. Unless doing a repair which is something else.
    The other alternative for a quick fix is buying rolls of ready to lay turf. And follow the laying and watering instructions.

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Hi Tee 10, welcome to Gardeners Corner:love30::thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
      • Tee10

Ratings:
        +2

Thank you for the advice. The problem got so bad that I had to dig the entire thing up and start over. This time I have gone for a more robust seed. Fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 1
        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          Sorry. I can't identify the grass. Do you know the name of it. For lawns/grass areas for general use and the kids to play on. Iff starting from scratch, get a general mixture of seed, that will give you basicall a lawn of meadow grass. If deciding to turve the area. Go for a good quality meadow turf.

• Like Like x 1
          • Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
            +491
            TBH I wouldn't worry about "soggy clumps". If you're sowing by hand, there are always going to be some clumps where you scattered a bit more seed than others, and/or where the soil is slightly better than elsewhere. Since you need to leave it a few weeks without mowing, those clumps are inevitably going to be a bit thicker and stay more damp. The fact that the seed has taken well on those patches is a *good* thing!

Just wait for a run of a couple of dry days, and then give it a first mow in late afternoon. That should get the top of the grass dry enough so that it cuts well. (Mower on its highest setting for the first cut, of course.) Once you've started cutting it, there won't be enough length of grass to clump up, and it'll all settle down nicely. If you get a run of a couple of wet weeks in summer, grass is prone to growing like crazy, and you just need to reel it back in when the weather dries out a bit.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I do think your original work would have settled in fine with 3-4 weeks of mowing once a week. By trying to "fix" it, things have gone a bit pear-shaped and now you're back to the start. :rolleyespink: Never mind, the nice thing about gardening is that usually there's nothing a bit of time or another crack at it won't sort out.

• Like Like x 1
              Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
            • Tee10

Ratings:
              +2
              You are probably right but the problem seemed to be getting alot worse. It started to smell of fungus and I panicked. Being the novice that I am, including my lack of patience compelled me to act! The new grass seed I am using seems to be a bit more robust, as I used it to reseed bare spots and never observed any problems in those areas. If it does not go smoothly this time round, I think I will exercise a bit more patience and see it through. I put more blood, sweat and tears into it second time round which I hope will pay of. :gardening:

• Like Like x 1