1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Newly laid turf will it survive?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Laura d, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Laura d

Laura d Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I'm new to gardening and am hoping for some advice.

We laid new turf on sunday just gone and it was all we could find at the time, it was lying in the store for 2 days so was very dry there is also a lot of soil on the grass due to it being rolled.

I have been watering it twice a day but do you think it will survive?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339156944.131290.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339156972.345588.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    did you plant it upside down, or is the grass black?

• Like Like x 1
    • Laura d

Ratings:
      +0
      No it is the correct way it is mud on top of the grass as explained

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      grass is pretty hardy so if you prepared the site before laying the turf, it should be ok ... you only planted it a few days ago, and it needs a few days to take root

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      I would complain to the shop, thats not good its been rolled up for to long, which they would of known , at that rate you might as well just sown grass seed .
      Did you lay the day you got it and was the price reduced ??
      Go back show them the photos, and ask for a refund were did you buy it from ??

Thats the worse one I have ever seen, sorry to say.

Spruce

• Laura d

Ratings:
      +0
      Ok, thank you for the advice.

• Laura d

Ratings:
      +0
      Do you think it will grow? I got it from homebase everywhere else was sold out on Sunday!

• Spruce

Ratings:
      +12,322
      Dim most of it is bald and dead if you layed this for me which you woudnt off as you are more proffessional than that I woudnt of payed you .

Laura D moan and moan to the place you bought it its below any standard if no joy I would re-seed the whole lawn on the top of what you have

Spruce

• Laura d

Ratings:
      +0
      Ok there is grass under the dark patches, it's just mud from where it was rolled I will try to get a closer picture when I get home

• Spruce

Ratings:
      +12,322
      Homebase thats good shoudnt be a problem send the pictures to the "customer care depertment" you will get your money back they are very good at that but you will have to be quick dont leave it

Spruce

• gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
      +1,663
      I'm not an "experienced" lawn layer - dabbled a bit is all, but I am surprised to read that it has been rolled. It certainly looks like there was quite a bit of rolling.
      From my limited experience I thought the preferred method (which is the way I adopted) was to work one way, knitting the butting edges as you go along. Any cutting done with a sharp knife.
      Well water after laying, repeat watering daily for a couple of weeks at least - AND KEEP YOUR BL***Y FEET OFF IT ALTOGETHER.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      They shouldn't have sold it to you, but they might not have known the state it was in if it had sat there for a few days - and it might also have been a bad batch. They will have had complaints from other customers [who bought that batch from that store] no doubt.

You say it was "dry", that's also not good. I have lifted turf here, rolled it up, left it stacked for a fortnight in mid-Summer, and then relayed it (still mid Summer!!) and although it was very yellow it recovered quickly. But ... I watered the stack of rolls heavily every day, and at no time did it get dry [Blog photo link]. Yours looks to have bare earth, rather than yellow grass, which I don't think is a good sign.

Yes it may recover. I would immediately over-seed it with some grass seed - you need to be watering it for a month to get the turf established, that will get the grass seed germinating too. Otherwise I think the risk is that the "recovering" turf will have bald spots, and be under stress, and that will allow weed seeds to get a foothold - which is probably what you were trying to avoid in laying turf in the first place?

• Laura d

Ratings:
      +0
      I have spoke to homebase and they haw said that the batch that they sold us had lawn disease!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Never heard of it! Either that is compete tosh, or something I'm not equating to what they said. Presumably in saying it was diseased they will replace it - but that still leaves you with all the hassle of lifting it and replacing it with the new turf.

On the long run less effort that trying to make what you have "right", but I expect that is little consolation.

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,297
      If you get it replace free, then when you lay it
      I believe you should lay it like brickwork, Not in rows, but staggered

Jack McH