1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

next doors ivy... want to take cutting!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by L plate gardener, Mar 10, 2009.

1. L plate gardener

L plate gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    next door have a lovely large leaved ivy ( i think! ) and its very healthy and grows really well, and comes through our fence , and grows rather nicely :)

but he cuts it back every so often and kills our bit , that we like :lollol:

can i take cuttings off it?? but cheeky i know! pinching the neighbours plant but its in our garden :hehe:

ive never taken any cuttings of anything before so some points in the right direction please would be greatful :thumb:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,020
    Ivy is really easy to grow from cutings, see the RHS link here: http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles1106/ivypropagation.asp

You can also easily propagate ivy using the layer technique - if there are long runners poking through from next door, just bend them down 2 or 3 inches into your soil, then cover with soil and pin or hold them down (with a stone, or bent wire, anything to stop them springing back up). After 3 or 4 weeks the runners will develop roots and form new plants.

3. L plate gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    ooh thanks john :)

i know its probably simple stuff to you guys! but for a first time gardener i really am.. thick!! :lol:

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,020
    No problem Nicola, there are no stupid questions, it just seems simple when you know the answer! We all had to learn from scratch at some point.

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Just one thing to note-in defence of your neighbour. By cutting the ivy back every few years they are infact keeping the ivy looking good. The fresher newer leaves are the most attractive, it's probably the reason why it looks so good when it grows back through. You will have to follow suit to maintain the same quality of foliage. I cut mine right down every three years and live with the bare bit for a year.

6. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,653
    I thought that's what neighbours were for! I have a nice climbing rose cutting pinched from neighbours garden:)

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Why don't you ask your neighbour for a runner that has already rooted after all thats what neighbours are all about.

8. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,632
    In Finland we have a saying "stolen plants grow best". That's why you should never thank for any cuttings. I've used this attitude several times, just accidentally passing by (sometimes it takes several passing bys) a lovely plant and asking the owner if I could steal some cuttings. My stolen garden now has ivy, lavender, 2 evergreen shrub babies and a handsome Viburnum that was growing in a too tight spot. Most gardeners are flattered when their plants are admired.

9. L plate gardener

Ratings:
    +5