1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

nicotiana / tobacco plant - companion plant?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Claire75, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Hoping someone can help out - when I had my allotment, I remember a guy who was really into organic gardening recommending planting nicotiana with something, as a companion plant. I have a feeling it was tomatoes perhaps? But I'm not sure, and can find no mention of it after a search on google and on here, other than that it is an insect repellant (in which case, do I want it near anything? Will it prevent pollination?)
    I'd be really grateful for any help!

2. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Claire75,last yr i grew nicotina with my pea pods.I don`t know much about companion planting i just fancied some flowers along that particular fence and it never hurt my peas.

3. Jack by the hedge

Jack by the hedge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope nobody thinks that the tobacco plant itself is edible! I understand that it's poisonous.
    Marigolds (one seed firm used to sell a variety specially bred for the purpose) are used as companion plants for tomatoes to ward off whitefly which can cause a lot of infestation in the crop, especially if grown under glass.

4. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    :D ..and there`s me thinking you smoked it. :D

5. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies so far - yeah, i've seen plenty of refs for marigolds, but couldn't find anything for nicotiana.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotiana
    One variety at least is where they get tobacco from - nicotine is poisonous...