1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Nicotiana

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by justracing, Jun 26, 2013.

1. honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,915

whats wrong with my nose!!! :yikes:

2. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    Nothing!!!

From what I recall the best fragrance is from the tall white nicotiana affinis.

• Like Like x 2
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      As HB I have not grown Nicotiana for a few years now. But I bought a tray that caught my eye outside the local Spar , these were Nicotiana Cuba Mixed . In full flower about 12" tall and a very nice colour mix :blue thumb: . What other types do you folk grow ? Ideas for next year.

• Like Like x 1
      • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        I normally grow N.Sylvestris but was too late this year...thankfully Kristen came to the rescue:dbgrtmb:....fabulous plants IMO....

• Agree Agree x 1
        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,089
          Here's the other that I'm growing.....................
          DSC_0864.jpg

It's a tender shrub or small tree - Nicotiana glauca. It can grow up tp 8 metres in height and will eventually produce these blooms....................
          [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
          • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +23,089
            Totally agree! Sadly, so do the slugs. I have just one left this year thanks to the slimey critters.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            All my plants are fabulous Loli :heehee:

I don't go a bundle on the coloured "bedding" ones. My Mum and I grew "Lime green" and so on when they were all the rage in the 70's ... and Salpiglossis ... what a waste of time they are, lovely colour but just a spindly single stem (maybe they've improved in the last 40 years though!!).

I grow Nicotiana langsdorffii (loads of small nodding green flowers), but its on my list for reconsideration next year. Sylvestris we love. N. alata & affinis are on the list for consideration next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,089
              I only grow N affinis white as I've failed with N sylvestris, and I'm not very impressed with N langsdorfii. The other bedding varieties are either too dumpy or I don't like the colour range or they're not scented.

The big white ones are magical in the August evening garden, pumping out scent and gleaming ghost-like as dusk falls. Assuming the temperature is above the customary 12 degrees, of course.

• Like Like x 2
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                What's gone wrong with them, for you? They seem to grow readily enough from seed here, provided I keep the slugs off the seedlings :), but it would be good to know of other pitfalls I need to avoid in future.

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,089
                Oh I don't know. I'm not very green-fingered, actually. I've had several experiences where the seedlings get off to a good start then fail to thrive later, and I think N Sylv falls into that group. I wonder if I over/underwater or starve them, or let the seedlings get rootbound.
                I've had big fails with cleome as well. Never sure if it's me or the seeds or the weather or the slugs.
                I'm doing reasonably well with seedlings this year, most things are still looking willing (except the basil).

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                Slugs ate my Cleome seedlings this year, and are always hungry for the N sylvestris. The N sylvestris grow large leaves, so I pot them on into 9cm pots "young" so that I can move them apart a bit easily, and they have enough compost to bulk up. Plus the leaves are very brittle, and I reckon I'd damage them a lot trying to get them out of a module - its hard enough to "fold up" the leaves event transplanting them from pot to ground. But I'm sure you know all that stuff :)