No more nails? YES more nails.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Jul 19, 2013.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,594
    Coat rack secured to the wall with No More Nails. Attempt 1, fell down after a day. Sand it all down and start again, this time it lasted a whole fortnight. Hurray.

Yesterday, making our sun project, stuck bits of ply together with No More Nails. Gave it plenty of time to dry, 2 bits fell off.

So, No More Nails? Yes more nails.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,174
      What I can't understand is why people believe that a dollop of glue will be load bearing! It's a lovely thought but there is no substitute for the real thing.

A bit like 'I can't believe it's not butter'. I can because it tastes noting like butter. It's all a marketing trick I tells ya!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,594
        I was sceptical before I bought it, but then having read the labeling, and being aware of the Trade Descriptions Act etc, I figured it must work sort of otherwise the everyone that sells it would have been done by now.

• Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
        Ratings:
        +568
        Finished off my/our pizza oven by fixing a screw to attach a fan to get the begger going if reluctant. I installed the screw, not with a rawlplug but with a hot glue gun! What WAS I thinking about!:oopss:

Cheers, Tony.

• Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,951
        The sun has boiled our brains!! :heehee:

Val

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +48,881
          No More Nails is rubbish, especially when compared to PinkGrip - my father in law introduced me to it a few years back when we had to remove a big piece of wood at the bottom of the staircase in the house we were moving into to allow us to get our bed upstairs; when the bed got stuck, I popped to the loo before trying again, and nearly died when I heard a sawing sound as he cut this stair end off at floor level; he prised it off the wall while I was crying in the corner, and once the bed was upstairs he went to his van and produced the PinkGrip.

The wood went back on with only a small cut line needing to be filled, and it was absolutely solid (and this was a heavy old bit of wood).

When I moved in here, I was trying to put blinds up on the stair windows, however the lintels were so hard I killed three drill bits and a drill before giving up with only two holes partly drilled; back to the drawing board, I got some dressed 2" x 1" wood, cut it to size to fit in the window reveal, and stuck the blighter up with pink grip. Supported for a couple of days until it fully cured, and then I screwed the blind (heavy suede Roman type things) onto the wood. Rock solid. The stuff sticks like poo to a blanket, and sets as hard as stone - just support it until it cures and you shouldn't be disappointed.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            Modern adhesives are incredible , but they have very specific application ranges. In other words when all else fails read the blooming instructions ! :biggrin:
            http://www.loctite.co.uk/homepage.htm

• Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +865
            Like many other people (I guess), I used No More Nails ...... once.

Our utility room had an air-brick about 12" off the ground, but we had a move around, decided to put our new freezer in front of the brick so, Mr. F'smum inserted another air-brick elsewhere and (before the new freezer arrived) I decided to cover over the existing one. There was a bit of 6mm exterior ply laying about in sir's workshop, so I cut a piece about 25 x 15 cm, applied No More Nails Exterior Water-Resistant Grab Adhesive around the edge, followed the instructions, stuck the piece of ply to the wall and ...... watched it fall off .... twice. I applied more N.M.N.E.W.R.G.A. and although it stuck (a bit) it didn't "grab" because, despite applying duct tape and various other 'Heath Robinson' ideas and implements to hold this small bit of wood in place, it still managed to slide before the wretched stuff set. I consoled myself no-one would see it behind the freezer, but it annoyed me so I thought I'd have a go at removing the bit of wood and starting again. A gentle prod with an old screwdriver and the piece of wood came away from the wall as easily and cleanly with the No More Nails firmly attached to the back of it.

I slung the bit of wood, cut another and stuck it up with 4 very small blobs of Araldite on the corners - in the words of the prophet (and Mr. F'smum) "That, lady, 'aint goin nowhere"!

• Like Like x 1
            • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
              +0

I reckon that glue that sticks that man to a board by his overalls and then suspends him from a helicopter must be good stuff:biggrin:

• trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
              +279
              I suppose you have to be a bit sceptical with the claims manufactures make about any of their products whatever it is. A bit like the old adverts of how a car will do a zillion miles to the gallon. Fine on controlled test ground with banked curves no wind, no traffic, no traffic lights, stop-go etc. Get on the road under real conditions and the figures go out of the window.

I have used no nails on numerous occasions but soon found out 2 things.A. Load bearing is ok if you hang a feather off it and B.Did not find it instant grip. I put up some decorative wood beading and yes it stuck ok and is still up but where the wood was bent, as all wood seems to be these days. I had to keep it against the wall with sticky tape and even very small panel pins. Once dried I was able to remove tape & pins and it was ok.
              Years ago my brother on the other hand built a cupboard in his camper and to be honest he went over the top. He screwed wood frame to the floor + No nails.

When I took over the camper from I decided to build a different cupboard and took the screws out. Could I get the bottom bit of frame off the floor, could I buggery.I had to use a chisel to get the frame stuck down with no nails off the floor, took me ages.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +84,377
              I've never tried, "no more nails", is it the one with no solvent.
              We use "gripfill" quite regularly and it has its uses, I bet if you look at any modern house or building the place is full of the stuff.

It needs at least a couple of day to harden properly.
              And what most people seem to miss is it needs to be attached to a dust free solid surface.

Believe it or not, I glued a few bricks together, out in the garden about four years ago, and they are still there.
              "Gripfill", probably the original, is good stuff, not tried the solvent free but I bet it's a compromise, as the real stuff is still going.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                +21,174
                Hmm, no McCoys crisps for you! You'll be asking for directions next ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
                • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +45,645
                  I'll second that, it's the one the pros use as far as I can work out. I saw a new sign on a recently renovated property before the owners moved in, "Gripfill Cottage", yes chippies do have a sense of humour :)

• Like Like x 1
                  • lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
                    Ratings:
                    +641