No perfume!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Magsanders, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Magsanders

Magsanders Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a five year old Philadelphus Virginal - it's rampant and healthy, but the flowers have no perfume. When buying this, I was assured the shrub was highly scented, so feel a bit cheated. Any other gardeners had a problem with this variety of Mock Orange?

We have heavy clay soil here but it seems to be doing really well.

Also, how much pruning should I do and when?

Look forward to your comments.

:thumb:

2. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Many nurseries (at least in Italy) sell Philadelphus just like that "Philadelphus". However, there are several species and cultivars, and some are scented some are not. Virginalis is a lot less fragrant than coronarius. Heavy clay will suit any of these, they are really tough fellows. Only prune the branches that have bloomed. You can do this in winter, the branches that have bloomed have small twiggy growths on top. Leave the straight unbranched wands alone. They will bloom next summer.

That said, a philadelphus that is not fragrant is as good as useless in my opinion, and I understand your unhappiness.

3. goosegog5555

goosegog5555 Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +134
    Hello, I planted mine last year. This year only 1 branch and the flowers only have a faint smell. ? Maybe we just were unlucky. I do feed mine and must admit , they seem to brighten up after this

4. Magsanders

Magsanders Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments. I know it's not the end of the world, and it's a really healthy plant which give some privacy, but it is disappointing when you are expecting a heavenly scent.

I appreciate your time.:)

5. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I know. Philadelphus is probably my favourite scent in the world. It is infuriating that they are selling any that do not smell at all. Get a fragrant one, and keep the first for show. It is surely beautiful,and a single fragrant one is enough to scent a whole garden.

6. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is in its second year and hasn't flowered at all yet - do you think it will? I bought it in spring last year and the nursery owner suggested I cut it back hard, which would mean it wouldn't flower that year but would be a much stronger plant for it. I did, it didn't but now it is - but no flowers yet.... I'm hoping I bought a fragrant one but can't remember the name, it may well have been virginalis too :o(