1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

no raspberries - what's missing in the soil?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Annemieke, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +133
    I know that leaves need nitrogen, and roots need potassium - but what does fruit need? Our strawberries have enormous leaves (though some strawbs too, luckily) and the raspberries have lovely stalks but hardly any berries.
    What's missing in our soil? We do use a lot of cow manure in our compost, living nextdoor to a farm.
    Thanks!

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,166
    What variety of raspberry are they? No fruit could mean incorrect pruning, assuming they are a summer fruiting variety (i.e. should be fruiting now) they produce fruit on last years canes. Alternatively if you have Autumn rasps which won't be fruiting for a few more weeks yet.

3. Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +133
    Actually, they are autumn raspberries but always start as early as June. Maybe they have some early fruit on overwintered canes. I had forgotten that. So in that case there would be a pause before the new ones arrive. Thanks for reminding me!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
      Ratings:
      +5,368
      Its ages since I grew raspberries, but from what I remember, they did not like too much fertiliser. All I used were small amounts of hen pellets in Spring. Even then, not every year. Hen pellets were chosen for the simple reason raspberries dont really like nitrogen.

• Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +133
      Aah .....

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Are the leaves healthy and green Annemieke? Raspberries do not like high alkaline soils but the problem would be seen in the foliage.
      However, for autumn raspberries it is still a little too soon to decide. A good pruning routine is important too.
      A balanced fertiliser like fish blood and bone for me but I would apply liquid seaweed or tomato fertiliser now once a week for a few weeks
      Let us know how you get on Annemieke :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +133
        In general the leaves look healthy. However, some of them are yellowish. We moved them 1 1/2 year ago, and there were always some plants with yellow leaves, increasingly so, which is why we moved them. As I said they get quite a lot of cow manure, so the nitrogen might be the problem?
        We have lots of comfrey, would comfrey liquid help? And what about calcified seaweed? We have plenty of that too and could put some on in the autumn.

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        One thing that you could do is get a soil pH tester. As @Verdun quite rightly says, they dont like alkaline soil. A pH value of 6 is about maximum for them. I've seen yellowing on leaves of other plants due to both alkalinity and over fertilising.

• Like Like x 1
        • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
          Ratings:
          +6,543
          We have had some fruit off of our Fallgold and Autumn Bliss Raspberries since June and then they start again later on when they are supposed to fruit.

Try some Epsom Salts watered into the base of the canes per instructions on the box/packet or if you are able to spray a mixture of Epsom Salts and water and see if that gives them a boost:smile:

@Annemieke I see you are near Ilminster,Mr Kandys late Auntie and Uncle lived at Isle Abbots for years,not sure if you have ever been there?:smile:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Kandy, glad you said that....I meant to mention epsom salts. Wot am I like? :noidea:Great belief in the power of ES as an all round tonic as well as its magnesium quality.
          However Anniemieke it does look like a high ph soil causing your problems

• Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
          Ratings:
          +133
          @Annemieke I see you are near Ilminster, Mr Kandys late Auntie and Uncle lived at Isle Abbots for years, not sure if you have ever been there?:smile:[/QUOTE]

My husband says not. He's the clever one you see. I'm not a great traveller, and Isle Abbots has nothing to pull me there, like Taunton, or Yeovil for instance.