1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Non Biodegradable Pot Liners

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Howard Stone, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    I have some large terracotta pots. I don't like to plant directly into them because it makes the plant hard to remove. So I've started to use plastic pots to plant them and use the terracotta plants to hold and hide them.

The problem is that the standard sizes don't fit well, I'm losing a considerable amount of room for root development.

I know that there are flexible pot liners, but these seem to be all biodegradable, which will defeat the object for me.

Is there a better solution?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Why not line the pot with an old carefully cut up compost bag.. It would be out of sight and as long as you made sure the drainage was good obviously, it would solve your problem and easy to remove from pots I would have thought..:scratch:

• Like Like x 1
    • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      Hi @Howard Stone I'm just wondering if you could use DPM? It's meant to last and is quite pliable, just a thought.

• Like Like x 2
      • Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
        +49
        Flexible plastic like damp proof course or compost bags would line the pot alright, I'm just not sure how easy it'll be to remove a plant. Has anyone tried it?

• Like Like x 1
        • Marley Farley

Ratings:
          +14,125
          @Howard Stone I did it with cut up compost bags for some church yard pots for a few seasons and it worked very very well.. They didn’t dry out anywhere near as quick and yes came out of the pots fine.. I cut a piece for the bottom and cut the drainage holes in and placed in pot.. the cut a strip to go around the sides.. Make some cuts up it so that it fits the shape and plant up is what I did..

• Like Like x 2
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,686
            Apart from cacti, I've never found it difficult to remove plants from clay pots.
            Cacti and some succulents do attach themselves to the pot, but not noticed the problem with other plants.

• Marley Farley

Ratings:
            +14,125
            No nor have I Pete I did it more to slow down moisture loss, as I couldn’t get there often to water.. It did however mean they slid out of the pots easily at the end of the season..

• Like Like x 1
            • Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
              +49
              I had a big problem removing box topiary, I really don’t want to go through it again!

But it looks as though not all plants attach themselves to the terracotta.

• Like Like x 1