1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-flowering Agapanthus

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Redwing, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    I have a hardy agapanthus in a large pot which has flowered beautifully for the past six years. This year no flowers, just a lot of healthy looking leaves. I feed it occasionally, not much though. It probably needs dividing. Is now a good time to do this?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,931
    I've got a few Aggies but I grow them in the ground.

Just wondering if yours might have been hit with vine weevil, or some such pest through the winter, causing the bulbs to break down into new smaller ones this year.
    I think I would have divided a bit earlier to be honest, but if it is reasonably easy to knock the pot out and look, it might be worth a try.

3. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    A few possible causes down in the Problems section of this link.
    Agapanthus/RHS Gardening

Getting an Aggie out of a pot, if really root bound in a plastic pot, can often only be done by breaking the pot !

4. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Redwing, I think it needs dividing if it has been in that pot for 6 years or potting on.
    I would also feed it once a week now with tomato food. In autumn I would mix in sulphate of potash with a mulch :). And use john innes 2 or 3 for potting on :smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      Thanks folks. Have now repotted into five smaller but still quite big pots. No vine weevils @pete . I used a mix of my own compost, well rotted cow manure and grit.

• Informative Informative x 1