1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-flowering Forsythia shoots.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by John Dalrymple, Mar 21, 2019.

1. John Dalrymple

John Dalrymple Gardener

Ratings:
    +38
    I've got 3 Forsythia intermedia "Lynwood" bushes, and all of them put up some vigorous shoots which had slightly larger leaves. Now the bushes are flowering these stems aren't flowering. If this was a rose I'd say they were suckers. Should I just prune them out? They are obvious when they appear, maybe get rid of them then? Or are they destined to be flowering stems next year? Note - the bushes were only planted last May.

Stems at the front of this bush.
    [​IMG]Profile Pictures by John Dalrymple on Gardeners Corner - The Friendly Gardening Forum

[​IMG]Profile Pictures by John Dalrymple on Gardeners Corner - The Friendly Gardening Forum

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Leave them for now John....those non flowering shoots will likely flower next year.
    After flowering, prune the flowered shoots back to green shoots:)

I donated a forsythia to my local walkway and gardens but I notice it has been incorrectly pruned.....somebody has pruned it during the summer; pruned off some of the flowering wood:noidea::noidea::noidea: I mentioned it and, hopefully, it will be pruned only after flowering this spring.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • John Dalrymple

John Dalrymple Gardener

Ratings:
      +38
    • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,890
      Hi @John Dalrymple , leave them on for now but reduce the whole bush after flowering.

I always then prune again around end of July into August. I know this goes against @Verdun 's advice ( we had this argument last year ), but this is the result......

20190321_160857.jpg

A nice rounded bush full of flowers on every branch and no long whispy non-flowering shoots/branches.

• John Dalrymple

John Dalrymple Gardener

Ratings:
      +38
      Cheers. That one looks great

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Emma Briggs

Emma Briggs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        Any joy with these John? Did they flower for you?
        My forsythia grew 3 shoots last year, still not flowered just getting bigger!
        upload_2022-5-7_9-51-55.jpeg

• John Dalrymple

John Dalrymple Gardener

Ratings:
        +38
        I have the same experience. Very few flowers this year. I shall be pruning back, quite hard I think, very soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +21,323
          RHS pruning advice for forsythia.
          Prune in mid-spring, immediately after flowering – avoid pruning later in the year, as the following spring’s flowers will be reduced. Annual pruning keeps plants healthy, shapely and within bounds:

• Cut back flowered growth to vigorous upward- and outward-facing shoots lower down

• Also remove up to one-fifth of the oldest stems from the base of the plant. This will encourage strong new shoots to sprout from the base

• Thin out any crowded shoots in the centre of the bush and remove any weak growth