1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Noobie Lawn Advice

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Trigger, May 20, 2012.

1. Trigger

Trigger Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Good evening everyone,

I have a lawn with a fairly good covering of grass, but an awful lot of the normal weeds you see on lawns.

Today i sprayed the weeds with a weed killer before reading the bottle (silly i know) but read that it kills the grass too.

What is the best way for me to get rid of the weeds whilst also maintaining the grass. Is there a decent product to use?

I am in Cornwall and the lawn is south facing and gets a lot of sun.

Secondly, what is the best ways to put some new seed down? Would i just chuck it down where needed and apply fertiliser over the top?

Any beginners advice would be greatly welcomed

Thanks, Shaun

2. Pootle

Pootle Gardener

Ratings:
    +94
    Hi Shaun from another newbie! You can buy a special feed and weed from DIY shops and garden centres which kills the weeds and encourages grass to grow. I tried just putting seed on top and it didn't really work think you need to mix with soil (topdressing?)

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    Welcome to GC Trigger. Oh dear! Most bottle sprays contain a certain amount of glyphosate. Glyphosate kills everything it touches including your plants, so I hope it didn't drift when you sprayed.

If you have moss in the lawn as well you are best using a weed/feed/mosskiller all in one combination for lawns, either in liquid form that needs diluting or in granular form, which will need watering in once it's down, either when rain is due or hose/can. Liquid feed has to be put down in dry weather. Instructions will be on the packaging.

I did my back lawn today with the granular sort (B & Q's) and despite all the rain we've had recently had to water it in, it's forecast to be dry this week.

A general purpose grass seed can be used on the bare patches. If they are small areas sprinkle the seed on the area and cover lightly with garden soil or compost. Water it every day if the weathers dry. It will take between a week to two weeks for it to show.
    When it's tall enough cut it with a lawnmower on a slightly higher adjustment until it's established, not a strimmer as that tears.

If you have grazing animals, rabbits, guinea pigs etc. don't let them feed on the lawn for at least a month. :)

4. Trigger

Trigger Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies.

I had a chat to my mum about lawns etc. She has recommended me a Verdone Weed Killer that does not kill the lawn. She swears by it and her lawn is immaculate.

I have ordered it and am going to apply it with her pressure sprayer thing she has. Its dilutes in water so will put it in the sprayer and then use that on the lawn. It needs to be applied in warm weather and it is supposed to be warm this week so should be able to put it on Weds/Thurs.

Only problem i will have after this is sorting out where all the weeds die (hopefully)

Going to pick up some grass seed sometime once the above has been completed.

5. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    Verdone is a good weedkiller and you shouldn't be left with many patches after using it. The grass will grow and cover them in a short time. But not where you've already killed it unfortunately.

6. Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,359
    I can never get the hang of the weed and feed stuff.
    I do everything that it suggests but i always end up with burnt patches on the lawn. Can anyone tell me why ?

G

7. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,297
    Well IF you really have treated your lawn already with that weed killer, then I would not spend anymore money, on grass feed and weed, as You will not have any grass to feed

Do not take my word as gospel as I am a beginner too, but I believe the killer you used will have killed everything thus no grass left to feed
    Others will advise If I am wrong

Jack McHammocklashing

8. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    Some questions Mr. Grinch.
    What do you mean by burnt patches, are they brown or black?
    Have you used a granular weed and feed or a liquid one?
    What time of year did you use it?

9. Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,359
    Ah, im not up on this.
    Ive done it at various times, its granular and patches go brown/black like scorch, with a wrake and a mow it goes and after a month looks ok but i just cant get the hang of it.

G

10. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    The brown/black patches on the lawn is where the weedkiller has killed moss and that can be raked out.

Weed/feed/mosskiller should only be used in spring, when the weeds are actively growing, but you can use an autumn feed (not a weedkiller) if necessary later in the year.

I've used a granular one again this year on my back lawn, but for the last time, I don't seem to be able to get it even enough. Next year, I'll use a liquid one and water in using a can.

Granular has to be put down during a wet spell or watered in. Liquid (diluted of course) is watered in and put down during a dry spell. Yesterday I put a liquid weedkiller (Verdone) down on my front lawn and it's working already. :)

11. Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,359
    Thanks for that.
    The grass was going black also, not just the moss but i think i will use the liquid one when im up and running, like you i cant get the granular stuff to go over evenly :blue thumb:

12. Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,359
  13. Mikegreenestfingers

Mikegreenestfingers Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I just dont have weeds or moss in my lawn but i do love my lawn, i guess thats the reason why.
    Top Tip,
    Feed, weed, mosskillers need to be watered in, if rainfall does not occur within 48hours of application.
    Spring & summers NEED watering after application. if you get patches, its either to much in a single area and needs spreading out more or its just down to your timing skill and weather. Speaders are the best, they work even better with the mini granular feeds i get from Forizo. The best place i know on merseyside for fertilizers.